Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

speedometer reads high
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
My Panama with od reads high. Speedo says 50, I'm really going 40. Speedo says 40, it's really going 32. I tried to find the part number for the speedo gear in the parts catalog but could find no reference. I assume Packard offered various speedometer gears depending on the rear end.
Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 13:05
 Top  Print 

Re: speedometer reads high
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For stick shift trans, gears are in group 3.257. 18, 19 & 20 tooth. The speedo seems quite a ways off. Wondering if the OD and rear end are stock or were changed and are you running radial or the original bias tires.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 13:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I swapped out the ultramatic for the od.
also swapped the rear end out of the donor. Yes, I do have radials. Good catch.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 14:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
They run high....but yours seems over the top.

Speedo gears might be available from Roscoe Stelford in Hampshire, Il.....

Posted on: 2013/8/8 17:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I think with all the switching you have done, they all play a role in the inaccurate speedo.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I was careful about the switch. The transmission, clutch, rear end all came from the same donor car. Only question is the radial tires. They are much larger than standard.
I was thinking of compensating for this with a different speed gear. Does this gear come out of the housing the same as on the ultramatic?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 20:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Only question is the radial tires. They are much larger than standard.

Unless I'm missing something won't a larger diameter tire make the speedo read lower than actual. Usually the complaint on the average radial is the diameter is smaller than bias.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 21:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Yes, I agree with you. A larger diameter tire should make the reading be lower. I will compare the diameter to the bias ply I have here.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I was thinking of compensating for this with a different speed gear. Does this gear come out of the housing the same as on the ultramatic?

Similarly, but with different types of parts (P/Ns) between standard (Grs. 3.256-3.257) and Ultramatic (Grs. 3.681-3.686).

Unlike later GM vehicles that I've worked with in this regard on, the spread on speedo pinion (driven) gears listed for standard and OD in the Packard V8s is only a bit more than 10% (depending on which way you look at it), and there's only one choice of driving gear for overdrive (another for standard trans).

You should first determine the ratio of the current rear axle to see if you have the right tooth count on the existing speedo pinion gear. Without knowing the full history of the donor car, it could very well be that some other axle ratio had been installed that isn't regular production - not supported by any available speedo gears.

You might want to consider an inline speedometer ratio adapter. Though not exactly cheap, they may be easier to find and provide a more accurate reading than any available gears for the transmission.

Mind you, that's all assuming that your speedo head was accurate, to begin with.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 9:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved