Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 40

Ian Gabriele, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Non Packard--forgive me
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
One of the guys in my neighborhood has a 1941 Cadillac-I think a series 62 sedan. It's in super nice condition and I must admit it runs really nice and drives nice. I told him I'd ask here because I don't know of any Caddy forums like this one.

Anyway, he's having trouble getting it in gear once it's started. He starts it in neutral and then when he engages the clutch it will not go into reverse or 1st gear. It will go into those gears when the engine isn't running but, sometimes it doesn't even want to go with engine not running. When the engine is running it makes the grinding sound when trying to put into reverse or 1st gear. I just don't have the knowledge you guys have so I told him I'd ask. He had this trouble once before and then it just started working fine with no warning. He drove the car less than a week ago, so it doesn't sit for long periods of time.

Oh yeah, if you try to start it with it in 1st or reverse with the clutch engaged it acts like it's just in gear and you're trying to start it without engaging the clutch. Does that mean the clutch has gone out?

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/9 17:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Non Packard--forgive me
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
You've figured it out. Clutch is not disengaging. I have no idea what it takes to R&R a clutch in a 1941 Caddy. But, good luck to you and your buddy.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/9 17:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Does R&R stand for rebuild and repair? How much do you think a clutch job would cost on a car like that. I'm clueless on the price.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Back in the dark ages when I worked in a gas station

Back in the dark ages when I worked in a gas station R&R meant "remove and replace " Looked better than labor. That's somewhat similar to what new car dealers used to put on the invoice ADP - stood for Added Dealer Profit

r7r

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:41
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Any idea on the cost of a clutch for that 41 Caddy?

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
41 Cadillacs should be relatively easy to change the clutch. Parts should be reasonably priced too. Conventional design for the time. Easier than a Packard with Overdrive. I think they have a floor board that can be removed from the inside to get to bolts and stuff on top. Get a manual and go to the Cadillac LaSalle Club site for help and information. They are a great bunch and helpful too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/9 21:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thanks JW

Posted on: 2013/8/9 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Clutch is not disengaging....

Viewing to the detailed description of the fault it is as clear as daylight. Be so kind to inform us if the defect was suddenly coming or continually growing.

The cost of the clutch job depends on the kind of defect. An adjusting job (padel travel) or easy fix (defect Bowden cable or linkage) is made within 10 minutes. Even a jinxed foot mat, which slipped out of place to block the last but decive clearance of the pedal would be possible.
To change the clutch disk usually requires to unscrew cardan shaft and gear box to exchange the disk. If it is going nicely, the job is done after two hours. Be so kind to recommend him the exchange of the release bearing too and to shoot a glance at the shaft seal. If you do that in one go add another hour. I saved the best until last: no special tools nor rocket scientists necessary.
If no new coupling disc is available one would have to rivet new lining. This would double the work duration but again no sorcery (I must admit though that I never touched a '41 Cadillac). How about you, Ross?

For the sake of completeness two possible trouble makers should be mentioned. A broken clutch controller (fatigue) is possible but seldom. I make mention of it just to show you how clever I am. As opposed to this, a defect shaft seal that seals the rear crankcase is everything else but seldom. Escaping oil would pretend a coupling defect because of a sliding disk. But according to the given description we can rule out both cases.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 1:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try this first:
NO OBSTRUCTIONS in front off nor at rear of car for at least 20 feet.
For additional safety probably need to remove ignition coil wire.
Place transmission in high gear.
Push clutch pedal to the floor.
Engage stater.
That should break loose the clutch disk from whatever it has siezed to from setting.
Note THAT CAR MAY LEARCH FORWARD FOR THREE TO TEN FEET DURING THIS PROCESS and that siezed clutch disk mite not release.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 5:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yup, a stuck clutch disk was the reason to ask for the time factor. In a manual of the VW DKW Munga, made for the German armed forces I've read the guideline to use a short board or branch to hold down the clutch pedal after parking the car to avoid a stuck clutch disk.

Click to see original Image in a new window
VW DKW Munga - clutch a branch to branch the clutch

[picture source: www.up.picr.de]

Posted on: 2013/8/10 6:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved