Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Don B, Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

pre 51 windshild washer question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anyone have this option on their 48-50 or earlier and if so, what do the nozzles look like. From what I can see in the 22nd series accessories illustration they are a separate assy from the wiper pivots. No details though.

Second question is sanctioned availability on a 21st series. There is no mention in the early 46 accessory catalog but it might have been available later. I believe there were a couple of people with 21st cars that had asked about the purpose of a button under the dash. Belief was a washer might have been on the car at one time.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 12:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: pre 51 windshild washer question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All I can add is that my 23rd series Custom 8 had washer nozzles integral with the wiper pivots. It was a very low mileage funeral service car which I bought in 1960 and I suspect the installation was original to the car.

EDIT: Jim in Boone's photo just jogged my memory from 40 years ago, I was incorrect in the above, Jim's installation looks the same as I now remember in the 23rd series Custom. Sorry about that; when things are that back in time, I probably shouldn't trust my memory.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Attached is a photo of the washer nozzle on my 1948 Super. If other photos or under the hood would help let me know. It has the jar, but don't believe these work at present or at least I don't know what button to push to make the work. Jim - jim@hiddenvalleymotel.com

Attach file:

jpg  (62.60 KB)
4384_5225072c8771a.jpg 1024X577 px

Posted on: 2013/9/2 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the photo. It answers my question completely but would love to see any other photos of the under hood components you care to offer.

There may be more than one way the washers work in a 48. If you have the factory optional unit your washer has a jar and lid with a round can like affair on top. If the hose coming from top of the round can on lid is connected to a port on the drivers side of the wiper motor, then the wiper knob controls the washer as well as the wipers. If there is not a second vacuum port on the wiper motor or the hose on top of the washer can goes straight under the dash along with the water hose, then there would be a separate button fastened on a bracket under the dash edge for the washer.

If it hasn't been activated for a long time then there is a good chance it won't be working and the diaphragm may even be leaking. On the chance it would work:

To start the washer with the wiper knob you would turn the knob counterclockwise slightly -- (the opposite direction you would normally turn for the wipers). It would push against a spring. Once turned, you would hold knob for a few seconds against the spring while vacuum draws the water into pump. If the system works, when the knob is released the water will discharge and then you would turn the wipers on the regular way to finish the cleaning.

The separate button would work the same as far as holding it for a few seconds and then releasing to start the water.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 17:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Hopefully attached are pictures of the washer jar and the wiper motor, they seem to attach to the car as you describe in your post.

I doubt that my washer would work at present, don't think it has in the years I've had the car. Well the car hasn't worked recently either, too many projects/jobs and never enough time for fun. Jim

Attach file:

jpg  (42.69 KB)
4384_522668903cd36.jpg 432X768 px

jpg  (60.89 KB)
4384_522668b10774b.jpg 1024X577 px

Posted on: 2013/9/3 18:01
 Top  Print   

Re: pre 51 windshield washer question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Not to muddy the waters but my 23rd series has nozzles incorporated into the towers. It is entirely possible that this was not original to the car. The supporting plumbing consisted of a foot pump and a vinyl bag hanging from the inner fender. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if this style of nozzle is correct/incorrect for the 23rd series. Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.92 KB)
188_5227f3f26b801.jpg 864X576 px

Posted on: 2013/9/4 22:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved