Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 201

Gary Kulp, CCR, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Circle of Time
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Interesting thing happened today.
I drove the '55 over to the store this afternoon and as I pulled into a parking spot, a family of three with an eight year old and the eight year old's friend were getting out of their car. The friend, a blond kid who at the moment had eyes as big as dinner plates - not moving - was staring at my my car. He looked up at me and I told him it was a Packard, a 1955. He then he opened his mouth and the questions poured out. I opened the hood, showed him the interior and then I sat on the rear bumper - like the Packard dealer back in '56. It dawned on me that I was playing that Packard dealer to the blond kid's 8 year old me. An then, when the suspension kicked in his jaw dropped just as mine did all those years ago.
I can't help but wonder if 50 or so years from now he will seek out a '55 Packard like i did three years ago. I won't be around but i do wonder.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 22:13
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Circle of Time
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Cool story.

These encounters happen randomly when you "go to the store" or wherever and are usually very much fun and rewarding especially sharing with the youngest generation. Having a T-L Packard that is beautiful (or even presentable) usually gets a lot of attention. The earlier Packards are the same way, except you can't do the "sit on the bumper" trick with them.

You can't be shy and own a Packard.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/5 23:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jim L

Good for you! You planted the seed of old car interest in that young fellow's mind, we need that to happen much more often now. When an adult takes the time to share his car with the next generation, one never knows how that may come out. But it is one more chance that the next generation will start to take interest in and eventually develop the desire to own these cars when we no longer can.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
When I'm out driving my Clipper it's nearly always the young ones (below 15?)that turn their heads, waves and shout: "Nice car - wow!" That, or a few "real old ones", that remember the Packard marque.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/6 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Craig, Steve, Rocky46 - this was a new one for me. I've had the "thumbs up", waves and ocassional "nice car". But this kid was not just "bitten by the bug" - he is already in the full possession of "The Disease". Except for his having blond hair, it was like an encounter with myself at that age. Almost spooky. I have no doubt that the two of us would still be talking except his friends parents while good natured by it all did have other things to do.
As for myself, I haven't had such fun in a long time!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 22:23
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Jim,

the other is, when your out of the car, and the body goes up, or comes down, then back up to level.

people can;t figure it out,,

Posted on: 2013/9/7 0:30
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Riki is so right about that. When I get the chance to show my car's TL, I ask the spectator(s) to find the springs and try to explain what's holding the car up? I get some surprising explanations!

Posted on: 2013/9/7 9:50
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved