Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 clipper with no spark
Just popping in
Just popping in

Maine Hill Billy
See User information
I recently saved a 41 Clipper which hasn't run since 2005. Everything appears original and showing its age. I rewired the engine compartment for engine related components and disconnected the light related wires. The car is currently turning over but I don't have any spark. There is no power coming from the coil. I am under the dash now looking at issues. I am trying to be logical with what I try and track down as the issue. The coil looks like it is connected directly to the key ignition. Is there anyway to check to see if the issue is the key ignition switch or should I just replace the coil and hope its not the key ignition switch? Any other thoughts for other things to check. Thanks, Maine Hill Billy

Attach file:

jpg  (71.35 KB)
18551_5231065938fb3.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/9/11 19:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 clipper with no spark
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome. That looks a nice car you are going to be playing with.

You can bend the tabs or twist the end and remove the armored cable entrance "can" at the base of the coil to expose the power terminal. If you have 6v when the key is on most likely the ign switch is OK. The wire inside the armored cable can be prone to deteriorating insulation -- but that is usually an intermittent condition and you should notice it by a heavy current draw.

The usual oxidation of the points or terminals and having a good ground at the distributor would be worth checking after sitting so long.

One other thing is the condition of the battery, cables and terminal connections. Battery needs to be in good full charge condition and if the cables have been replaced, they need to be large -- 0 or 2/0 gauge is recommended for 6v. If anything is deficient in that area then the load of the starting motor could be enough that voltage to the coil drops below the point a reliable spark can be obtained.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 19:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Maine Hill Billy
See User information
Great information. I was figured the access to the steel conduit was possible. I'll be looking forward to the weekend now to dig into that area. Cables are all new, but fair call since they were well beyond their lifespan when I grabbed the car. Thanks, MHB

Posted on: 2013/9/11 20:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Maine Hill Billy,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '41 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/9/11 22:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved