Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 59

Ross, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

21st series Headlight bucket wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a Clipper, would someone please tell me or better yet post a photo where the rubber cord exits the engine compt and goes under the fender to headlight buckets. I don't see any obvious places in the inner fender panels and the car has been apart so long my memory has failed.

Both headlight cables connect at the terminal block on L fender, go forward a few inches & clamped and then what happens. I know one has to exit to left and other goes across front of radiator and then somehow gets into the fender. Not sure where that happens on either side. Am wondering if there is enough slack that I could shorten the cable on one side or the other or maybe both by 3-4 inches.

No one else seems to stock that rubber multiconductor and now RI Wiring is discontinuing it too. I bought the last of what they had. Worked out to a little over 9' or roughly 10" shorter than what I would have liked to have. Would hate to have to do it differently if I can fudge a few inches using the proper looking cable.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 17:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 21st series Headlight bucket wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, memory fails me but maybe this photo will help. As I recall the rubber encased headlight wiring exits the engine compartment just in back of the radiator near the terminal block. Sorry, the car is not at home for me to check.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (43.34 KB)
565_52d8a4354d0ec.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/1/16 22:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
JW look at this for now and I will see if I can get you some better pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvoeWNPG9E
Wes

Posted on: 2014/1/17 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes - I think this video of yours is just what Howard needs. Your wiring routing is as I recall on my car. I was ready to visit my 47 Custom in its storage space, but now think this is not needed. I may go anyway, just to check on it.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/17 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the video. I have to go search again because I didn't see the large grommet or any opening on my inner panels or maybe I wasn't looking at the right ones. It does look like there may be a few inches of slack available though. Am still not clear what happens once the cables leave the terminal block and head toward the front. I can see they appear to be clamped one above the other. Any photos from the engine compt side or description of specifically where it goes into the fender forward of the terminal block would sure be appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 11:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if it exits the same as the 51-54 bodies do, but if so, there is no grommet, just a hole punch open so edges are smooth and rounded over. The cord being rubber encased fits firmly through the hole. Just leave enough cord hanging at the lowest spot for a "drip loop".

I would say the hole is about 3/8" to 1/2".

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The opening is probably staring and laughing at my feeble attempts to locate it but since it would have to be at least a fairly decent size for the 5 cond rubber cable, it is not obvious -- yet. I did see a large grommet on the video but just not quite enough of the surrounding area to nail the location. Having the fender and inner parts in a multitude of unmounted pieces doesn't help.

It may be quicker to bolt everything back together to get a reference rather than looking at individual pieces. What I'm trying to do is pinpoint the approximate locations to see if I can shorten the cables slightly and use that shorter piece of cable I could find.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, See the attached photos of the headlite wiring. I have done headlite wiring harnesses on three Packard Clippers 42 160, 46 Deluxe and 47 Super, all harnesses were routed the same. Good luck

Attach file:

jpg  (72.35 KB)
385_52d9b96d8c77d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (80.29 KB)
385_52d9b989eac30.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.83 KB)
385_52d9b9a948fcc.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.80 KB)
385_52d9b9cd63f9f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (85.85 KB)
385_52d9b9e6188e1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.30 KB)
385_52d9ba048d403.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/1/17 18:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appreciate the photos. Thanks to them, the opening in the corner was obvious once I had the big boxed pieces oriented right side up and in position. The cable opening is much farther forward than I thought so no wonder the side pieces drew blanks.

Posted on: 2014/1/18 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved