Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 103

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Connecting rod suppliers and other short block thoughts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings, Men-Who-Own-One,

In another thread someone mentioned the possibility of late-56 engines being made up of the sweepings from the parts bins. We do a lot of 374" and naturally, these are later build engines.

On a couple of performance engines we have in progress just now, I note three different manufacturers of connecting rods. "Atlas" is the only one identified by name. These also have cast-in Atlas 8, Atlas 9 and Atlas 10, all in one engine set.

Working with these mixed sets of rods is a royal pain, because they are widely varying in weight. There is a balance pad left on the forging on the top and bottom of the rods. On some rods, the balance pad is virgin; no grinding for balance at all. On others, the balance pad is almost ground away.

When doing a performance balance, all components to less than a gram variance, we're finding for all their bragging, Packard was pretty sloppy with static balance.

We've got six more 374" cores on hand. Maybe the easiest way is to pull all them down, sort out the rods, and try to make sets from the same forging foundry and re-number them.

Question: on '55 engines, is it more likely all rods in a given engine would be from one manufacturer?

Question Two: One P/N for 352" and 374" crankshafts. Anyone know differently? The 374" pistons are 38 grams heavier than the 352" pistons. We balance most of our engines, but what about the dealer ordering a replacement crankshaft? They definitely didn't rebalance, so which crank did Packard ship and did they have vibration problems as a result?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/8/14 11:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Connecting rod suppliers and other short block thoughts
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What about 352 rods???? Have u seen the same type of variations in the 352 rods??? I have a 352 seting here i can check the rods for a name. Where on the rod is the name "Atlas" ????

"On a couple of performance engines we have in progress just now, I note three different manufacturers of connecting rods. "Atlas" is the only one identified by name. These also have cast-in Atlas 8, Atlas 9 and Atlas 10, all in one engine set."

So then, there is at LEAST 4our different rods???
Atlas 8, 9 and 10 make 3 different rods and at least one more not cast with "Atlas" make 4.

Seems to me that there is an STB or SC that indicates a different crank for the 56 Carib.

I do not understand question 2 at all.

If there is ONE, exactly one and only one part number for 56 v8's then there is only one crank that the warehouse could ship.

55 V8 cranks are identified by a "4" on the front counterweight for the 1955 352 V8's. A "3" for the 320 V8.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 16:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
With the crank REMOVED from the engine how well is the stock crank balanced????

Posted on: 2008/8/14 16:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"We do a lot of 374" and naturally, these are later build engines."

Do u have any explanation on why they are LATE 56 V8's?????

Posted on: 2008/8/14 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thus far i have found only 2wo different rods in 5672a-1834 engine. One rod is 'smooth' but has a SLIGHT hip at the yellow horizontal marks. The other rod has no hip but has a slite raised ridge along the length of the rod as noted in the other pic between the yellow VERTICLE lines.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.59 KB)
35_48a4edd999d0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.99 KB)
35_48a4ee0e0ccad.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/14 21:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
posting to keep current.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 21:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved