Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

charlieshot, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Top well area, 1940 convertible sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

trimacar
See User information
Could someone tell me how the top well area (behind rear seat) in a 1940 convertible sedan was finished? How were the "humps" for the trunk hinges covered? Do they show through holes in a covered panel, or ??

I went and looked at an original car but forgot to look behind the rear seat, I'm doing upholstery in one with no patterns...

thanks David Coco Winchester Va. david.coco@comcast.net

Posted on: 2014/3/2 16:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Top well area, 1940 convertible sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Dave:
Welcome to the site. I own a 1941 convertible sedan and the trim for my car should be similar to what you are looking for. Unfortunately, my car is in storage right now but if you could wait a month or so, then I could take some photos for you.

Maybe someone else has their convertible sedan stored at home and can help you out now.

Best, --Roger--

Posted on: 2014/3/2 17:07
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
David,

There was a layer of the same, maybe 3/16" thick, flexible board used to do the door panels, that ran across the back, but 2 large holes were cut in it to accommodate the metal humps, to minimize the bump. Then the leatherette (same stuff as the kick panels) board went in front of that across the back. Mine has 2 side pieces and one long one across the back.
In the attached picture you can see where the metal humps were tacked to the old wood.

There were at least 2 different upholstery patterns for 1940. One for early cars, like from Aug '39 to Feb '40, and one for later, like Feb 40 onward.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.67 KB)
1067_5313b8891765e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (64.97 KB)
1067_5313b8940b4ec.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (60.20 KB)
1067_5313bd29342f3.jpg 1019X760 px

Posted on: 2014/3/2 18:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

trimacar
See User information
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed, thanks!! This car had no original upholstery left, I wasn't aware that there were two different upholstery styles that year. I have measurements and pictures from two different original cars, showing the seat areas (which look similar to the picture you posted) and the door panels (the doors with two half rounds/three stitch lines, with half circles around door handles and window cranks.

Does that sound like an early or late interior? What's the "other" interior differences?

thanks again David C.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 5:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved