Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Intake won't fit- V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My new intake gaskets are of a composition material & the old gaskets were thin tin. Because the new ones are significantly thicker, the intake bolt holes will not line up. Now the manifold is too heavy to throw s far as I would like to and I have been advised not to drill the holes bigger. might there be a solution short of finding new gaskets?

Posted on: 2014/6/8 22:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Intake won't fit- V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually, the original gaskets were not tin, they were steel. Maybe someone else will have some insight but I switched from the steel gaskets to the composition type and had no problems whatsoever. Perhaps the heads were milled extensively which brings the ports lower and closer to each other? If the manifold faces are higher than those on the heads, you compensate by milling an appropriate amount from the faces of the intake manifold - something engine rebuild shops check for and do routinely when heads on V8s have been resurfaced.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
something a miss,, i have composition too, from mr gasket, they line up,

Posted on: 2014/6/8 22:51
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Interesting problem. In all the years I have been around or done any work on V8 Packard engines, I have seen this condition occur once... and only once: when someone was trying to install a Caribbean dual-quad intake on a regular Packard V-8.

The fellow did not know that the dual-quad intake requires more clearance at the rear in order to sit flush in position. It would not seat for him despite repeated attempts to bolt it in.

What was happening in this case was the rear of the manifold was hitting the crankcase ventilation tube that comes off of the rear of the lifter galley cover. It held the intake up just ever so slightly and prevented alignment of the holes and seating of the intake.

On Caribbeans and dual-quad V8s this metal tube is flattened on top to prevent interference with the intake manifold. Only then will the intake sit flush in proper position to be bolted in.

Anyway, this is the one and only time I ever encountered anyone having a problem with seating an intake on a Packard V8-no matter which gaskets were used.

Just out of curiosity... this isn't a dual-quad intake is it?

Posted on: 2014/6/9 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Not a 2X4 Intake (yet :)
This intake needs to be machined at some point & maybe I will open up the secondary bores @ the same time?
But for now, will someone part with a pair of steel gaskets?
Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
64 will used work?,,,check with pack sw gerry, see if he has some

Posted on: 2014/6/11 8:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
A little detail action, just need gaskets.

Attach file:

jpg  (154.00 KB)
15023_5398fbd079edb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/6/11 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
At least you don't have an integral coolant crossover to worry about too, like most V-8s. Most times you can get the intake bolted in, but then the coolant leaks out. What a mess!

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/11 20:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just a little follow up, I mentioned this in my blog too. Enlarging the holes on one side by about .03 (the next drill size) allowed the intake bolts to slip right in.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 20:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved