Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacing the floor panels on a '49 super 8 sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Blake Longacre
See User information
Howdy ya'll, Blake here.
I'm new here, but can't wait to read all about the various projects on Packards around town.
I'm just about to purchase a '49 Super 8 Ultramatic sedan. The body's great, everything front of the firewall including the chassis has been cleaned and powder coated. I just have to put the straight 8 and tranny back in, the guy tells me the tranny needs seals, no problem.

But the main issue is the floor panels. I was talking to an old shop mechanic and he said replacing them is no so easy. "They're part of the whole body", he said.

Can anyone tell me where to get replacement floor panels and where to start. I can weld alright, but what else is involved?

Thanks, I appreciate your words of advice and time.

Roll the wheels,
Blake

Attach file:

jpg  (30.19 KB)
61076_53c81488a3647.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (29.26 KB)
61076_53c81492bca66.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (17.22 KB)
61076_53c814990ea49.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (24.77 KB)
61076_53c814a0b1917.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (23.08 KB)
61076_53c814ae96dc3.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (32.86 KB)
61076_53c814b52817c.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2014/7/17 13:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Replacing the floor panels on a '49 super 8 sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on your "new" car and welcome.

One company with the most offerings is C2C Fabrications They have many floor panels but are not perfect drop in replacements. Their offerings are adequate and in most cases only solution around but will require some custom cutting and fitting as well as some new bends to conform to the car. You can get an idea on some of the things involved by looking thru BigKevs and Troy's and a couple of other project blogs. They are later cars but the work is about the same.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 13:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Blake,
to PackardInfo, I'm looking forward to following along in this Blog on your Packard journey.

And, I invite you to include your '49 Super 8 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 16:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Congratulations on your car.

In addition to what the others have mentioned, there is a 49 club sedan project on the PAC website,http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2251

This might help you as well.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 17:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Congrats on the new car Blake.Should be an enjoyable project.

Here's a hint: take many photos and index them with a lot of measurements, such as from the top of the door openings down to the top edge of the rockers, etc etc.

That way, when you do replace the rockers (and other panels) you'll have an exact measurement so as to get the gaps right, like rocker gap to lower edge of the door.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 19:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Congrats Blake, Welcome you will find all kinds of good data and advice here. Some good advice already. I bet you are anxious to get going, but the best advice I have from my journey is research, research, research. use the search function on this site and you will find their is a very high chance someone has tackled your project and has some pointers.

As HH stated C2C is your best source, you will need to "trim" to fit to your exact project but very good quality. you can find their parts on Ebay as well under Classicparts4U.

Look forward to your progress and keeping another piece of Detroit rolling

Posted on: 2014/7/18 8:14
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved