Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 clipper custom constellation - fuel pump
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Good evening everyone.

I am in the process of re-assembling my 1956 Clipper Custom Constellation that I had acquired from an estate and I am confused regarding the correct fuel pump.

The engine currently has the single action pump as is shown in the repair manual, however it has vacuum wipers. There is an old spare dual action pump that came in the pile of parts with the car.

The manual indicates that all of the 56th series use the single action pump and then in the next section, it shows the tubing diagram that has one leg going to the vacuum pump.

Should the car use the single action or should I re-build the dual action instead?

Also, are there any illustrations or photo's that would show the routing of the vacuum lines? I saw a few engine photo's online and the manual has illustrations of other items but I didn't see anything that would show the correct routing.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 19:27
"Vision without execution is just hallucination"
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 clipper custom constellation - fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55-6 Packard used the single action pump for fuel only. The aux vacuum for wipers was supplied by a vacuum pump located on the bottom of the oil pump in the crankcase. The vacuum line from that pump exits the block on passenger side about mid point in the block just above the oil pan. It elbows toward the rear for a short distance & into a check valve. Continues out of the check valve almost to the firewall and then bends up to a point about even with the top of block. The main vacuum line exits the base of carb and goes along the side of head toward rear of engine. There are a couple of clamps which use existing holes in the head and in the block to anchor the steel lines. Both of those lines transfer into rubber hoses which go to a balancing valve located on the firewall a few inches below the wiper motor. The port on large end of the balancing valve goes to the motor and the other port on small end is either capped off or goes to the windshield washer if the car is equipped with that option. The washer installation info in the accessories section of SM shows the balancing valve.

If the car has had the original oil pump replaced with the PI reworked pump that was popular several years ago then the vacuum pump has been removed. In that case you would need the dual action pump to have a backup source for the wipers. About the only way to tell if the pump has been removed is to see if the line is still intact and if there is vacuum present when the engine is running.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 20:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Thank you Howard.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Were the vacuum/pressure pumps more commonly found on the HASH versions of the Packard V8?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/6/15 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I remember seeing that car for sale, is it coming along well?

Posted on: 2014/6/15 20:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
I've just made enough room to start on it. I'm trying to sort through some of the errors in the wiring and mechanical systems ( like the carb with the linkages assembled upside down with the wrong kit installed) so it has a long way to go. Fortunately I have my 51 to drive as a relief.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 5:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Were the vacuum/pressure pumps more commonly found on the HASH versions of the Packard V8?

jack vines

Yes. I believe the Packard version was the only one with the aux crankcase pump. Stude GH used electric wipers & also had the single.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 8:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved