Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help with Generator and Torsion suspension
Just popping in
Just popping in

Eli Dragisich
See User information
I am new to this forum. I have owned a 1955 Packard Clipper Constellation for about 33 years. I had a body on restoration done on it about 20 years ago and drove it frequently. However, I lost interest in it because of other obligations, so it sat in my garage for the last 10-13 years. I recently decided to renew my interest in it, and I was successful in getting the car started, but two problems occurred that I need some help with. While it was sitting for all those years the rear end when down significantly. Yet, when I connected the battery terminals recently, the torsion leveler raised the rear end to its maximum height and hasn't gone down since. Back is up and front is down. Any suggestions? Another problem: After starting the car and letting it idle for a while, the generator got extremely hot and eventually began to smoke. I bought a rebuilt one from a Packard parts supplier and replaced the one in my car with it. Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. The rebuilt generator also became extremely hot and began to smoke. I disconnected the battery cable so I didn't start a fire. Any ideas? Please be advised that I am not mechanically inclined, but I'll listen to any advice you may give. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and I desperately need some guidance on what to do.

Thanks for any help you may suggest

Eli Dragisich
Weirton, WV

Posted on: 2014/6/22 17:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with Generator and Torsion suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum.

In the generator problem I would suspect the regulator is at fault. Perhaps one of the contacts welded or maybe the field wire or terminal became shorted and generator is putting out at full capacity. I don't know if that particular regulator is polarity specific but if so that could be an issue. Remember 55 was positive ground.

The torsion level could be one of several issues. Am assuming it worked fine during the period you drove it after the restoration. Unfortunately, almost everything that could be the issue now will require you to look under the car and see what has happened and where the components are currently positioned.

One of the first questions is what stopped the system with the rear in the air. Did it hit a limit switch or did a solenoid short or stick in the on position so the bars continued around to the opposite side from normal until they hit the center of compensator and the fuse was blown.

Another question of during storage was there anything that might have been shoved under the car and bent or disconnected the control switch link between the main bar and the level switch. Since all the control items are under the car in 55, same applies to the bracket that holds the solenoids and limit switch to the compensator assy. Has it been bent. Another question is if it has the original 55 control switch, are the exposed wires intact and in good condition or since they are open to the world on the bottom of switch, is there any chance one has been damaged or grounded between the switch and the solenoids.

With your saying you are not mechanically inclined, it might be a bit difficult to answer the questions if you are not familiar with what to look for. If you have a friend that could look or perhaps if you posted some photos of the items it could help us spot something amiss or determine the best approach.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Eli Dragisich
See User information
Thank you for your quick response. Although I'm not mechanically inclined, I have a number of "old car" friends who may be able to investigate your suggestions.

Thanks again, and have a wonderful day.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 20:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Eli Dragisich,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Constellation in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 22:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh would that be autolite?

Posted on: 2014/6/23 22:54
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the generator/regulator, Clippers did use Autolite so it should be if stock.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
yap,,,

Posted on: 2014/6/23 23:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Custom Clippers could have Delco.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 6:37
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Eli Dragisich
See User information
My custom clipper constellation has a Delco generator

Posted on: 2014/6/24 11:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packards1 wrote:
Custom Clippers could have Delco.

And it appears the 5560 did use Delco. I stand corrected and moral is always make sure to look at the correct set of specs before saying something as fact.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 14:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved