Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Automatic transmission fluid
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dana
See User information
How do I check the automatic transmission fluid on a 1950 Custon flathead 8? No where can I find a dipstick!

Posted on: 2008/8/27 14:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Automatic transmission fluid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Put the car up on a lift. The dipstick and filler neck is on the driver side. I've seen some 23rd series with an access plate in the floor board hump, whether factory or put there later I don't know. Many of us use Type F or Type FA fluid.

If you're going to keep the car, you really should buy or download the shop manual.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per O-D's description here is a picture of short dipstick. If there is an access plate, it should be near the accelerator pedal hinge.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.26 KB)
209_48b5b47827c9c.jpg 326X190 px

Posted on: 2008/8/27 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Your are correct and believe me it is MUCH easer and neater to use the access plate to check and fill the Trans!Just pull the carpet back from the trans hump and there it is. I toped mine off with "Lucas Trans Additive and it made a big difference.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Please elaborate on the differences you noted with the Lucas transmission additive.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
yes "Lucas Trans Additive", one bottle is added to the trans fluid. It helps soften the shift and assists with the lubrication for the tran parts, it is compatible with ALL trans fluids, we use it in our Police Cars as the transmissions really take a pounding!! It also helps with minor trans leaks. Any good parts store caries it. Dale

Posted on: 2008/8/27 19:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dana
See User information
Thanks for the ATF info!!!

Posted on: 2008/8/28 20:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved