Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help! Need some ideas!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Subject: removing rear brake drums
52 300 sedan

Here's where I'm at and what I've tried. I have the exact puller that is supposed to be used for this job. Same as picture from this website.

I have been using Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster. I have the Nut and washer backed off enough so it can come off partially. I have made sure the E brake is NOT on. I have made sure the rear shoes have been backed off.

I have been now for the past 3 hours, hitting it to tighen it, then hitting the center shaft just about as hard as I can with a 4# hammer.

It sure the heck doesn't seem to be moving to me. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Drastic measures are starting to go through my mind!

NOTE: I can NOT drive it anywhere as it DOES NOT have any brakes!!

Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2008/8/30 15:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Help! Need some ideas!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keep beating on it, pretty soon it'll go "POP!!"

Posted on: 2008/8/30 15:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
What you might try is if you have a small canister of mapp gas. Any hardware store will have it. And a screw on torch head. Be careful not to over do, but try heating the hub for a bit between poundings. The best I have found on prewar larger drums, is loostening the nut a bit, put cotter pin back in and drive until popped. But you said you can't do that.

Posted on: 2008/8/30 16:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Boro wrote:
Subject: removing rear brake drums
52 300 sedan

Here's where I'm at and what I've tried. I have the exact puller that is supposed to be used for this job. Same as picture from this website.........

I have been now for the past 3 hours, hitting it to tighen it, then hitting the center shaft just about as hard as I can with a 4# hammer.

It sure the heck doesn't seem to be moving to me. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Drastic measures are starting to go through my mind!..............Chuck in AZ

Chuck,

Below is a picture of the puller I used, don't know if it's the same as yours but same principle. The big nut pushing on the centre of the axle should be continuously tightened and I mean tightened, really lean on it! A combination of tightenening and hammering WILL loosen it off.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.48 KB)
226_48b9c32f73395.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/30 17:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
I am using a puller identical to this one in the picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.48 KB)
194_48b9c8c1e3b07.jpg 496X703 px

Posted on: 2008/8/30 17:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think it just going to take perseverance and patience. I had one on a 54 that was as stubborn as yours. Just left puller on and every few hours hit it a good whack with the small sledge. It finally popped with a loud bang.. The heat mentioned earlier might help--just don't over do.

Posted on: 2008/8/30 18:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't take any drastic measures! Patience, patience, patience. Put good tension on the puller, and go cut the grass, or paint the house, or take off for a weekend. I once had one that popped off with a bang about a day later. And when you're done, DON'T grease or oil the axle taper when reassembling, it's the friction of the taper fit that drives the wheels, not the key!!

Posted on: 2008/8/30 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Frequently the shoes are stuck to the drum. I'm sure you have backed the tension off. But, if not, try to let the pressure off with the adjusting wheel. In order for the puller to work we need as little drag as possible.

Again, be patient and keep banging on it.

Posted on: 2008/8/30 19:42
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Get HEAVY pressure on the big center bolt of the the tool what ever it takes. Use a 3 foot pipe as a cheater bar. The tool should take at least 300 ft-lbs of torque.

Try the heat.

Mark the hub where the Key is. Use a heavy punch or bar of steel at least 1/2 OR MORE in diameter. Place one end of the punch on the hub snout. Strike the punch with a 2 pound hammer as hard as u can possibly hit it. Do it first at 90 degrees to the key and then directly opposite the key.

When u get the drum off. Inspect the key way in the drum and the top of the key itself to see if it broached any metal. Occasionaly a key that is too high will cause this problem.

Don't be afraid to beat the shit out of the tool or the drum snout nor over tourqueing the tool centre bolt. If u can break either one with your arm then they were no good to begin with.

Posted on: 2008/8/30 21:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
At his point u'll have to get really ruff with it. So wear some safety glasses just in case. Shouldn't need them but a good idea at this point.

Also if the hammer wings of the tool are mushroomed (they shouldn't be, never seem any mushroomed) then grind the mushroomed edges off of the tool. If u hit a mushroomed edge of a punch chisel or any other impact object they come off with tremendous force and in directions as predictable as the squirt of a grapefruit.

Posted on: 2008/8/30 21:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved