Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 198

Dennis Miller, Ross, portlandon, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

how dowe wire a deluxe 1940 heateer /defroster with 4 wires?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Please, adoes anyone have a diagram of how to wire a 1940 4 wire deluxe heater/defroster or where can i access a diagram. Needs to be from the heater motor to the switch.
Want to have the motor rebuilt and then install connecting to a switch.
Any information would be helpful.
thank you
John Miller

Posted on: 2015/1/8 21:09
 Top  Print   

Re: how do we wire a deluxe 1940 heater /defroster with 4 wires?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
O'Boy, always read twice before you submit.
Next time i will use spell check and then read twice to be sure..
John miller

Posted on: 2015/1/8 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless someone can come up with authentic Packard accessory install diagrams, here is one possibility. Take it for what it's worth but this is what I came up with and BELIEVE to be correct. There may be more than one version though. If your wires are in better condition it would be good to know if this is right.

As you can see from the before photo the original wiring on this motor had all faded to about the same color so it was hard to tell with absolute certainty where the wire colors (except for green) went in the motor. Based on a prewar Clipper schematic, some labels on a Clipper switch and on how the motor has to work, this is what I believe correct. After replacing the wiring on this motor and going with the color arrangement chosen, it appears to work as intended. The motor has two speeds (the round sw is missing a resistance coil for one direction) and it reverses with either the Packard round switch or the Clipper push/pull switch.

The only caveat would be the rotation might not be correct for the functions or switch labels on the nameplate so worst case with this arrangement the red and brown wires would need to be reversed on the switch.

Here are photos showing the current path in the round switch along with a schematic. The white bars designate the contacts which move across the terminals as the switch is turned to complete the circuit and place the armature and field in series. Basically the Bat voltage is applied to the switch and goes to armature via the red or brown wire depending on direction, out to motor and comes back into switch via the opposite red or brown and then goes back out via the yellow wire to the motor field and then to ground via green wire.

If you don't have a Packard switch the heat/defrost reversal function can be duplicated with a DPDT center off toggle switch but there would be no low speed. Have included a drawing showing how that can be done using this color combination. You could also use a universal heater on/off switch with rheostat for the variable speed to feed the toggle switch and change the center off DPDT to a two position DPDT for the heat/defrost function

Attach file:

jpg  (85.16 KB)
209_54b03e655fff9.jpg 1172X726 px

jpg  (108.16 KB)
209_54b03e718bfa4.jpg 1280X835 px

jpg  (26.44 KB)
209_54b03edc811f0.jpg 830X372 px

jpg  (93.92 KB)
209_54b0a31511097.jpg 881X1280 px

jpg  (18.57 KB)
209_54b0a653c9c5d.jpg 611X582 px

Posted on: 2015/1/9 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the time of the original 12 PM post I discovered I had made a transposition error on wire colors in the schematic. That has been corrected so if anyone wanted the info and saved one of those first drawings before this 8PM post please save it again.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 23:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Howard, Thank you. Pulling the heater today and will have the motor rebuilt with the wiring to the schematic you provided.
As usual "Packard Information members prove to be a valued reasource"
thanks again
John Miller

Posted on: 2015/1/10 11:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved