Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

weird high speed miss
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've been troubleshooting my 39 120 off and on the last month, trying to eliminate a high speed miss. I thought the distributor was bad, maybe the vacuum advance or worse yet a sticking valve. My neighbor who is a Model A nut told me that the cause of a high speed miss in an A is often a bad condenser. So, that being a cheap and easy fix, I replaced it last night. Putting the rotor back on, I noticed a piece of plastic on top of the wick of the distributor. Picked it up and then noticed that the rotor had a chunk of plastic missing on the shaft. Went down to O'Rileys and got a BWD D104 and put it in. The miss is finally gone. I suspect that the rotor has been cracked for quite a while and was flopping around - not bad enough to keep the car from running, but bad enough to not work well.

I love these $10 fixes! Unless you figure in the cost of head scratching and guessing.....

Posted on: 2015/2/10 16:54
 Top  Print   

Re: weird high speed miss
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
And the cost of a wig to replace all the hair you pulled out

Posted on: 2015/2/10 18:42
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved