Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Magazine Article 1951 Packard's New Complete Design
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I did not know if another else had seen this from Automotive Industries Sept. 1, 1950, talking about Packard's Newest Design.
http://www.ai-online.com/Adv/catalog/getCatalog.php?id=496
There is a lot of information in these magazines.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/30 12:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Magazine Article 1951 Packard's New Complete Design
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Thanks, Wesley, for including this fascinating issue. Lots of Packard information and trivia is included in several articles inside. But there was more, just for the looking. GM's Ed Cole was moving from Cadillac to their Army tank engineering team for Korean War duty...I suppose that it might be an easy and quiet step to move to the Chevrolet V-8 engine team without making too much of a fuss. There's also a table for car and truck production that includes not only Packard but Autocar trucks, another set of our family collection addictions. Finally, there's notice that the Army is buying some Nissan trucks for their own use. How the tables would turn! Making a hundred Canadian Buicks a day in a new plant in Oshawa, Ontario was just the beginning.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Dave, glade to hear! So much information, I also saw an article about the ribs that were put on the bottom of the engine due to stress crackers using a special paint while checking the engine at Packard. And also seeing the sales of all the cars with Packard out selling Cadillac.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/31 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Vehicle quests and addictions can be inherited. Although my third son dismisses my Packard and Corvette collecting as foolish, he's doing much the same with his Autocar truck collecting. He's about sixty years too late to revise Packard history and survivors, but he pointed out how sad it is to see an Autocar truck work so hard for thirty or forty years of heavy daily labor and within hours be hauled off to a scrapper, still warm with its sweat. I don't know how many he's saved, but his older brothers think he's just the latest family fool to show up.

The Autocar and Packard companies have remarkably similar early histories. One gave up cars for trucks and the other trucks for cars. Both claimed their vehicles were the best of their types. Both saw massive restructuring in the 1950s and mergers took their tolls. Both were proudly American until their end, always the best and never the cheapest.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 13:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved