Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 244

RKS, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

trouble shooting woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I was having an issue with the 51 200 running rough last week, so I got a new set of points from O'Reilly( BWD A72) and a new condenser. In the process of putting them in, I noted that the wire from the coil to the points was missing about half it's insulation. I prepared a new wire, and put it in, and after timing the engine, took the car out for a test drive. Ran great, past an honest 80 mph for several miles. Took the car home and put it up for a few days. Started it up today and it would start, run great, and then sputter to a stop. Swapped out the fuel filter and the brass screen in the carb. No change. Pulled the choke apart and put it back it - no change. Frustrated, I tightened up the screws on the carb, and then checked the four bolts holding the carb to the manifold. Lo and behold - one was three turns loose and another about one turn. Cinched them up and fired up the car - problem solved. Apparently, the car would run ok until the choke started opening. Combine this with the air leak at the manifold and the engine would lean out. Problem solved- just some loose nuts. Hope this helps someone else.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 20:57
 Top  Print   

Re: trouble shooting woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My theory is that the high speed run got the engine nice and warm, and caused the metal to warm up and expand slightly, and this is what made the nuts loosen up. Tomorrow, lock-tite and/or some new lock washers.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved