Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 38

bazou37, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2 questions to ask
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Hello. First question is about the temp gauge. I see on our sight that there was a service update on the temp gauge wiring. I looked at my 54 Patrician, and it doesn't have the updated regulator between temp gauge and fuel gauge. Is it just how it is wired or what? My car seems to run warmer than it should by the gauge. Second question is about my hydralic lifters. I have one that is ticking. Is there any quick fix or method of trying something to make it quit. Or, do I have to replace. If replacing, do I have to pull the head. Thanks, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 17:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 2 questions to ask
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the temp gauge problem it was found the early senders had an issue and were slightly mis-calibrated making the gauge read a bit higher overall than owners were used to. To correct the reading and particularly if it was a problem an owner complained about, the new "regulator" consisted of a resistor in the voltage supply to the gauge. I've not seen a car with the regulator added to measure the resistance but expect it was less than 10 ohms -- maybe half that. It was a quick, inexpensive and easy to add "fix".

The added resistance and slightly lower current to the temp gauge changed the high end response so when used with the original sender resistance it moved the needle just enough the gauge would read slightly lower at the higher end and would be more within the range expected. The sender problem was corrected in mid 53 by changing the sender to one with a different calibration. If your car is a 54 it should have had the recalibrated sender and would not have or need the extra "regulator".

If a new type sender was added to a car with the regulator the regulator was supposed to be removed because the two were not to be used together. If your original sender was replaced with NOS and was one of the older style then it might benefit from the regulator. Without knowing the value of the resistor it would take some experimentation or finding a real item.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 17:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On your second question: I locate the noisy lifter by laying the stem of a mechanic's stethoscope on the lifters one at a time while it is running. Otherwise, it all sounds the same to me. The only sure cure is replacement, which requires removing the head. The secondary cure is to make up a little "hat" for the offending lifter to take up all of its travel save .007". This will make a satisfactory quietness but requires careful measurement. The third and least successful method is chemical magic from the local auto parts store.

Posted on: 2015/7/21 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

A late old mechanic friend told me they'd quiet ticking lifters by replacing one quart of motor oil with automatic transmission fluid when changing the oil. Swore by it, probably worked best when it was a lifter feed that was partially blocked by dirt or gunk. ATF is detergent so will clean those and is good lubricant while doing so.

But, if its just wear, listen to the prior advice rendered by the gentlemen who have greater experience with such problems.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/7/22 6:54
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want to try the "magic in a bottle" the pretty much standard and classic treatment was "Alemite CD-2"; I don't know if it's still available or not. Probably worth a try for the few $ is may cost but the percentages aren't in your favor.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Couldn't those lifters be disassembled and cleaned? Though if it is worn this would not help.

John

Posted on: 2015/7/22 15:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
I am not one for snake oil and so called magical bottle fixes. However one product does stand tall in the lifter quieting department. That is Rislone and is usually available at most big box parts store and some department stores like Walmart..

Posted on: 2015/7/23 23:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bigaadams,
See you've been a PackardInfo member for some time, but first post, so

And I invite you to include your Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 1:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
Thanks for the welcome....I do a lot more research and reading on the average than posting, bit active on a Chrysler related forum though. I am gleaning all I can on the Packard, keying in on tech tips, parts and such. I have not as of yet really started into the bringing her back online phase. When I get a chance to turn a bit of labor to this one I will become very active on this forum. For the record, it is a 1951 Packard Henney senior. Smooth engine..but will require a bit of cosmetics and mechanical attention for safety to call her a running vehicle. Would like to find a bit more about the components on the larger car such as is the hearse. Again thanks for the welcome....

Tim

Posted on: 2015/7/24 2:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved