Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Radiators
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Greetings,
There are 3 radiator core assemblies listed in the parts book.
One for the Clipper models (pn 465457}, one for the senior models (pn 465458) and the last for "use with Air Conditioning" {pn 465573}.

Could someone tell me what the physical differences is with the core used on AC cars? My radiator needs to be re-cored and I would like to know if the core currently in the car is correct (it originally came with factory AC)or if it might have been swapped for one of the others during its "checkered past".
As always, thank you for wonderful support.
Fran

Posted on: 2015/7/23 7:58
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Radiators
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard used both Modine and McCord radiators and if you can get their numbers from the radiators I've seen charts from both with specifications though for the life of me I can't recall just where.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the primary difference on the original radiators was core thickness. Todays cores may not be an exact match in either thickness or fin density to those of 60 years ago. IMO, for an AC equipped car even if what is there now is correct for the time, I would bite the bullet and ask the radiator shop to install the thickest core with the largest cooling capacity that can be properly fitted to the tanks and support structure.

A former poster who had installed aftermarket AC continually battled cooling issues on his 56. Larger fans didn't help nor did any of the other usual suggestions. After he went that larger core route the problem was solved.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 9:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thank you Owen & Howard,

As it turns out, I did discover the part number when I was carrying the radiator into the shop. According to the number it is the A/C radiator.
I was originally looking on the bottom of the radiator and could not find the number... It was on the top tank, back side just below the filler.
After tanking and examining the radiator, the shop reported that it was in excellent shape and needed only one minor repair. We talked about re-coring and decided to schedule it this winter.
Thanks again

Attach file:

jpg  (215.61 KB)
4357_55b22d7d571d1.jpg 1271X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/7/24 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Fellas, I know I've commented about radiators and engine fans before but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the thread where I did this. Anyway, this one seems appropriate to mention the upgrades I've recently made to my Patrician. When I did make those comments, I received a PM from JW telling me how he handled the fan issue and that got me thinking I could do that too.

Essentially, my problem had been trying to find a 6 bladed fan with a centre pilot hole of 1.25", and my search turned up zero. The alternative approach involves spacing a fan with the conventional sized pilot hole (5/8") in front of the existing water pump boss, enlarging the bolt holes to suit the boss and bolting it all together. Sounds simple but it takes a bit of trial and error and I couldn't bolt it all together with the radiator in place. So, while it was out I decided to get it recored while I was fiddling with the fan.

As it happened, I had a 7 bladed flexi-fan in the shed which had been removed from an old Ford a few years ago. It's a little bit smaller in diameter (about 17.5"), but I'm hoping the extra blades will more than compensate for the smaller size. The fan was actually stencilled "Made in Canada" but I don't know by whom. I machined a spacer to mount it forward of the pump boss and an adapter that neatly fitted into the pump boss on one side and the pilot hole in the fan on the other. A pic below shows the first version of these but the spacer had to be slimmed down a bit and I made a new adapter, the same shape as the one shown, but taking account of the new size of the spacer. The end result has the fan spaced about 1/2" from the radiator and a similar distance from the A/C idler pulley. The fan blades actually flatten out towards the radiator so clear the idler pulley comfortably.

The radiator recore is made by Redback here in Aus and I was told it has many more tubes and fins that the old one, and the tubes are apparently fluted inside to slow water flow. It has 13 fins per inch and, while still three row, is apparently as good as a more conventional four row radiator. At approx $750, I certainly hope so. It's maiden voyage was last weekend and the temp guage went to about 1/4 and just stayed there. I ran the A/C for awhile and it didn't change, although it was just a nice sunny day. We'll know more when we get into the usual red hot Aussie summer days. John

Attach file:

jpg  (109.21 KB)
237_56247c7905178.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (141.90 KB)
237_56247cbd2984a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/10/19 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Nice work.

I think I'll do something like this on my Panther (nee 1956 Clipper). I've never had a problem with overheating on my 55 Pat here in southern NV where Summer temps can get up to 115F and driving in Las Vegas traffic is even worse due to the "heat island" effect. However, my Pat does not have A/C and my Panther will, so extra cooling capacity may be a good safety margin.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/10/19 4:44
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved