Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
28 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What kind of V belt is used?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I have installed power steering on the 1949 Packard engine. The pump that I used this from a 1952 Chrysler and it is a generator and power steering pump combination unit then this is a somewhat elegant solution to the problem.

Speaking of problems, the next problem I ran into was the groove width of the Chrysler power steering pump / generator is slightly wider than the groove on the Packard harmonic balancer. I was thinking if I can get a v-belt that is the same width as the original equipment Packard unit, but without the ridges in the belt it would work better. Would anybody know what kind of belt is available with out me ridges on the inside of the belt?

Posted on: 2015/8/6 19:31
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: What kind of V belt is used?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not install the Packard pulley on the Chrysler Gen-PS Pump?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/6 21:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Hi Bill, when I needed a slightly longer belt for my car (installed an alternator) I just took my old one to NAPA and we tried different ones until we found one that was about what I thought I'd need. Neither my old belt nor my new one have any ridges, just smooth and solid. If the Chrysler pulley is a universal type as was my alternator then it will accept pretty much any width that works on your other pulleys, the belt just rides at a different depth depending on the width. But if your old generator pulley would fit (or is there a fan that is integral?) then use that one.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 22:47
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The important thing with the v-belt is that it must contact only the sides of the pulley and not bottom out in the groove which may happen with the wider groove in the Chrysler pulley.
The suggestion to use the original Packard pulley is the best solution.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 0:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
thanks... I am not home right now (at Hot August Nightsa CarShow) and if I was I would get the name of the manufacture and model number of the belt that is currently on the Packard.

The belt that is currently on it is a Gates Green Stripe belth an. it has ridges on the bottom of the V of the belt and these ridges are very close to and if not touching the bottom of the Chrysler power steeringp pump groove. If the ridges are so close to the bottom of the groove the system might make noise when it is in operation.

My hope is that I can find a belt without the ridges so that it will ride in the V part of the groove and not at the very bottom.

Does anyone have the name of a manufacturer who produces this belt without the grooves on the bottom of the v belt?

Posted on: 2015/8/7 0:44
Bill,

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're reluctant to just browse the local auto parts store, then get your measurements and try MSC, link below. McMaster-Carr and Grainger are other possibilities.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Motion-Control-Fluid-Power/Chains-Belts-Pulleys-Sprockets/Belts-Accessories/Belts?corrected=v+belts&searchterm=v+belts&navid=12104969&rdrct=v+belts#navid=12104969+4288229181&searchterm=v+belts

Posted on: 2015/8/7 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Does anybody know if the belt is called a "C" belt?

Posted on: 2015/8/8 0:02
Bill,

Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved