Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Voltage regulator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
1951 model 200 had a Delco style voltage regulator. So. now that I have replaced the generator that had thrown its solder out, I have troubleshot the regulator, and that is what took the generator down. O'Reilly Auto have a generic replacement a BWD #R118 that sells for $60. It looks more like an autolite style. On their website it said that it is for a model 300. Is there any reason that I couldn't adapt it to my car? It is 6V pos/neg ground

Posted on: 2015/8/11 18:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Voltage regulator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
You are correct -- that part number is not the correct regulator for a Delco-equipped car (it is, however, basically the right one for an Autolite-equipped car). In looking at the Specifications section of the service manual, I pulled the part number for the regulator that originally came in your car. That part number crosses to a Standard Motor Products VR8, Napa Echlin VR1071, and various others. Using this information, you can likely get O'Reilly or whatever parts house you use to cross one of those two new numbers to whatever line they carry.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 10:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My old catalogs also indicate a Standard Products VR8, but for NAPA shows a VR57. Perhaps that's been superceeded by the number DrewLA posted?

Posted on: 2015/8/12 10:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
It seems like I could wire it to work. Both regulators are a three terminal Bat, Gen, Fld, ground on the firewall set screw. Is there any voltage, or amperage reasons to not do that?

Posted on: 2015/8/12 11:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gets more confusing. Napaonline crosses the O'Reilly R118 to a VR25 which only lists as being used thru 49 models. The one Napa lists for the 51 200 is a VR22. The number O-D mentions from the old catalog appears to have been replaced and is NLA. On the 1071 DrewLA found, Napa buyers guide lists it as used on 54 models.

Whichever you wind up using, Packard specs say the 54 cars have a 45 amp generator whereas the 51 specs lists it as 40 max and the earlier ones 35 amps max. If you use the Oreilly regulator you might want to take the car to a shop with the proper equipment and verify it is set and regulating properly. Worst case if set too low is the battery doesn't charge but if set too high you don't want another generator with thrown solder. At least make sure the regulator can't call for the generator to exceed its capabilities.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 13:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
The O'Reilly shop has the output listed at 35'amps. This must be how they can list it for Packards from 47-54. I will test as per the Motors Manual that has a great section on them. I guess if you idle a lot at night you could have a battery charging issue. They warrant these for life, so if there is a problem bring it back with the box, and receipt. If I am. unhappy I will take it back and see how well their warranty really is. They are cheap, $62 out the door, and they had it overnight from their supply system. NAPA couldn't seem to get one anywhere.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 20:23
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Success! The 35 amp regulator is working with the 45 amp at 4000 rpm generator and Winifred's odd behavior seems to have gone away. When I got her she had so many obvious issues with the fuel system, that I ignored checking the electrics. Everything that I did made her run a little better until I hit the wall for improvement. The Packard pamphlet Scientific Diagnosis for trouble shooting is a very good guide. I learned a lot. Now she starts strong, and pulls hills with ease. Idles at around 600 rpm. The amp light comes on when idling for a bit, but goes out as soon as you drive off. So I will drive her around a bit, and if it looks good try a 100 mile trip. As always THANK YOU for your helpful imput. You can just drive around at anything from 20 mph on up in third now.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 21:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved