Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I just installed PS in a 1949 Packard.

The modified system uses a 1953 Chrysler 6V Generator that has a PS Pump attached to the back of it and the other end of the hoses is a Monroe external hydraulic actuator that is installed in lieu of the center link and this is the unit that the 1955 Packard used for PS.

The Chrysler manual specified SAE-10W however the Packard manual specifies "Ultramatic" fluid (also called Type A fluid however some say Type F can be used as a replacement).

Does anyone know what kind of fluid I should use???I was reading the PS Training Manual and it says to use Type A Automatic Transmission Fluid.

I had already installed regular "Power Steering Fluid" in the system. Is this an OK practice or should I drain it all and replace with ATF...and if so what type of ATF (Dextron or Type F)?

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/23 14:44
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Steering Fluid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall hearing of any damage or reason you can't use the PS fluid in Packards. I used the leak stopping type in one car and didn't see any ill effects -- but didn't see any leak stopping either. Not sure on the Chrysler but they even used l0w in their fluid drive transmissions so maybe it was convenience to keep it all the same. Don't think there would be anything that could be damaged in the pump.

As I understand it, modern PS systems run at higher pressure and temp so the main advantages of PS fluid over ATF is the formulation to withstand the higher temps and it has some anti foaming agents the ATF doesn't.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 16:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Steering Fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Agree with HH56, but why not go to a Chrysler club website and ask the question?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/24 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved