Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Washers under head nuts?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Does a 1949 Super Eight have washers under the head nuts?
I've seen some with, and some without.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 18:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Washers under head nuts?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Parts List is on line here, you can check such things for yourself. Yes, washers are specified. I prefer to use aircraft quality washers, ground flat with both sides parallel, any of the usual industrial supply houses have them, I get mine from MSC.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 19:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I checked the Parts Book and it lists washers, but lists the quantity a 'X'. That's what prompted the question.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 19:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
X generally means quantity varies and use as many as needed. In the case of many of the inline 8s there are brackets or other items that mount under the nuts. In many if not most cases those locations generally don't have washers. Here is the spec for the washers as listed in the utility section -- not that you are likely to find the exact dimensions anywhere

Attach file:

jpg  (53.89 KB)
209_55dfb1ca0deb8.jpg 1059X335 px

Posted on: 2015/8/27 19:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Per chance, if u r running an Aluminum head then check the parts manual to determine if it takes a different washer... Probably much more thick than a CI head.

In any case Owen gives good advice on the aircraft HEAD BOLT type washer (not just any Aero washer).

Do not use a standard hardware store washer unless it is hardened to some degree t hat is harder than a standard part washer.

The hardened wqssher tends to act as a locking device to keep the head bolt or stud nut from loosening.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 20:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I tried the MSC website and searched for Aircraft grade washers and received a 'no match' message. I looked at flat washers, and it's not easily discernable what might be aircraft type or hardened. The head is CI so I don't have the aluminum issue. I also checked McMaster-Carr and got the same response. What else should I search for?

Posted on: 2015/8/27 21:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I ordered them a few years back from the MSC hardcopy catalog - I still have it and I'll if I can find the specific number tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 22:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just took a quick look at my 2012 MSC hardcopy catalog, flat washers are around page 1908-1910. I saw several "aircraft quality" washers but not the ones I previously ordered. But there are quite a few "finished" washers (as opposed to simple stamped washers) that have ground faces flat and parallel to with a few thousandths. These of course are thicker than the thin stamped washers to you'll want to make sure you have enough stud length. Of those I saw that were 15/32 bore (for 7/16 stud) were item #s 74213513 and 71925713, both were 1/8" thick.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 8:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
here's a good place to get hardware like these washers -
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/washers.html

Posted on: 2015/8/28 10:10
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved