Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Monroe Power Steering Actuator Service Manual
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Does anyone have the service manual for the Monroe PS System?

I found the Power Steering Training Manual that was uploaded by Big Kev however it only discusses the Bendix system. Is there one like this for the Monroe system?

The Service Manual only discusses standard steering gear and does not have any information on the PS system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 10:44
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Monroe Power Steering Actuator Service Manual
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe Packard ever had any separate documentation on the Monroe system other than what is in the steering and suspension chapter of the 55-56 service manual. It was only used in those two years by Packard. You can download that individual chapter from the literature page and see if it helps any.

Other mfgs used the system and you might have some luck there. Some AMC, Dodge and Plymouth manuals might have additional documentation but I wouldn't know which years and what if anything might be different than the configuration Packard used.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 10:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Page 27 (suspension and steering SectionXVI(16)) of the 55-56 service manual is about Monroe.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks Randy and Howard. I was able to find what I needed on page 29.

So it looks like the power steering pump I have is a Eaton 5H pump.

I built up a power steering pressure tester with a ball shut off valve and a pressure gauge. When the valve is fully closed the pressure will build to only 660 PSI which is the design pressure as per the Chrysler manual and it is also the same pressure prescribed by the Bendix system.

Hmmm...so now it looks like I will make a call to Lares and see if they can increase the pressure output of this pump.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Posted on: 2015/9/7 16:19
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved