Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 65

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 r9 OD roller clutch operation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
I have a r9 that will not move in forward gears if you tease the clutch you can get it to move sometimes. If you put the OD in lock out, the car drives fine. With the car on a lift and not running, if I out the trans in 2nd gear I can turn the driveshaft both directions. Sometimes it will lock in the counter clockwise direction. I think the roller clutch is slipping. Anyone out there an experienced BW r9 expert ? Help please !
Thanks
Rick

Posted on: 2015/9/4 10:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 r9 OD roller clutch operation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am no expert but believe you are on the right track. The rollers and over-running clutch are the only component that transmits forward power thru the R9 unit when the OD is not locked out.

When the lockout knob is pulled out or the transmission is shifted into reverse a splined collar moves to solidly connect the two sides of the over.running clutch making it a solid unit.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 10:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
For certain the roller clutch. I would guess that the springs that preload the roller cage have broken. Fortunately, it is not too hard to remove the overdrive case with the trans still in the car.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 12:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
Thanks guys. I will pull it down and inspect the clutch.
Next question. There are 2 over running clutch roller sizes listed on kanter Web site. Does anyone know the correct size rollers for a r9. I will measure the ones in this unit but, since it has been worked on previously I want to make sure it has the correct size rollers in it.
Thank you
rick

Posted on: 2015/9/5 4:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
You will find that the cam on the overrun clutch is probably grooved, usually by around 30 thou. This means that the rollers will not grip in the engine drive mode as the rollers drive up the ramp. A very frustrating symptom in traffic when the engine revs and no drive. It also occurs when limited slip oils are used in the gear box oils. There is no option other than a replacement cam...forget about oversize rollers as they create problems in overrun drag. Unfortunately you have to pull the gearbox not just the rear of the O'D to inspect this miscreant. PT

Posted on: 2015/9/5 7:43
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The "junior" R9 takes the shorter rollers, the "senior" R9 (356 cars) take the long rollers.

Posted on: 2015/9/5 10:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved