Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

Ozstatman, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion-Level FYIs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I just got through bench testing a rebuilt T-L gear box assembly going into another Packard (55 Clipper). Everything eventually checked out, but I thought I would mention a couple of things to look for/be aware of.

1) One of the solenoids (mounts by the leveler motor in 1955) was obviously bad -- hit the actuator terminal with 12V and no actuation noise. So, I pulled out a spare 1956 solenoid (mounts on the D-side fender) and bolted it in (same configuration) and it made acuation noise, but there was no continuity. A 2nd spare solved that problem.

2) Initially, I couldn't get the control box to actuate the solenoids and therefore the leveler motor. The Service Manual wiring diagram was of no use. I did a search on PackardInfo and found both a 55 and 56 compensator control box internal wiring diagram (thanks HH56!). I had both a 55 and 56 box, but could still not get either to work.

Then I realized that there was no ground and therefore no circuit to heat the bimetallic strip part of the delay mechanism. Upon VERY CLOSE inspection of the circuit diagram, there was indeed a electrical ground symbol (triangle) off of the end of the resistance coil, but it was TINY, so hard to see. OK, where was the actual ground? It turned out the bottom plate of the control box was grounded, but I only found this out by drilling out the top cover rivets and inspection. I thought the bottom plate was bakelite and therefore non conductive. I had even tried a magnet on it but it was non-magnetic. It turns out it is aluminum but painted to look like bakelite and it's about the right weight. Once that plate was grounded, everything worked correctly.

3) One last thing: the lead that comes from the 3-prong brake switch through the underdash on/off switch to the compensator is live 12V, not a ground path. This might be misleading because of the live 12V fused link wire from the starter solenoid also goes to the T-L assembly, but only to the solenoid buss.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/9/9 16:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved