Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

SCORE!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Jackpot

Attach file:

jpg  (158.04 KB)
17226_55ffe7ff97ebb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/9/21 6:18
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Re: SCORE!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
'49 Henway?

Posted on: 2015/9/21 7:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There might be a modest market for a reasonably priced reproduction of the J-5954. They are not all that obscure but I'd bet some owners would like to have one "just in case".

Posted on: 2015/9/21 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you do make them it would be nice to keep the bolt as a way to detach the acme rod from the J portion and maybe figure an easy off ratchet section. The one I had access to used a pin thru the J so the rod was not removable. Same with the ratchet because the open end of rod was upset so the ratchet couldn't unscrew off the end. I guess they did that so pieces didn't get separated. Also nice to see you have the knocker and centering portions. They were lost on the one I used.

Storage is a pain with it assembled but for new ones oversize shipping with the thing in one piece would probably cost as much as the tool.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 9:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Great catch, Troy!

I had searched, in vain, for an original for years, but wound up purchasing a reproduction from Bob Berg back in the '90s.

Bob's repro uses a regular machine thread on the rod, rather than Acme thread, and - hence - a homemade push-pull jack to match. Some have said the machine thread would never hold up, but it looks to be the same as any coil spring compressor that I've ever used. Personally, I suspect the Acme thread was used more for speed than strength.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Troy,
Congratulations.

I assume both are good working units?

It may just be the distance and shadows, but are both of the J hooks the same? One looks to be a spread out more than the other.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the removal tool?
The Bob Berg reproductions had a metal liner, just curious what an original has.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 11:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved