Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

Dennis Miller, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Caribbean top boot attachment
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Hopefully this is an easy question. The vinyl boot for the Caribbean attaches by snaps that hold the stainless moldings around the boot well and the flaps that extend over the top frame, can be attached with snaps along the inner quarter panel that holds the ash trays. There is no obvious attachment for the portion of the boot that extends over the top of the rear seat.
Most of the cars that I have seen at Hershey or in museums are displayed with the top in the up position with no sign of the boot. I have seen photos of a car previously offered by Schmidt with the boot installed but it is not attached over the top frame and just looks tucked behind the rear seat back.
Anybody have an idea of how this portion is attached?

As an aside, I have followed Leeedy's post of last year and tracked down some white pinpoint vinyl with tan inner panel, found a water based convertible top dye which the seller was able to color match to the interior color, sprayed the inner side of the top and had the material sewed into a top. The top is currently being installed and actually does not look too bad.
I will take some photos of the top and try to download to the Forum as soon as we finish installation.
My car will not be a show car but I think the too would,pass muster. I will provide details regarding the materials and costs when I load the photos in case anyone else want to explore this route.
Thanks in advance for any details
RJR

Posted on: 2015/10/1 20:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Caribbean top boot attachment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What year Caribbean are you inquiring about? I can't comment on the earlier Caribbeans but the 56 convertibles have a row of snaps across the top of the rear seat frame to attach the forward edge of the boot. Do you need pictures?

Posted on: 2015/10/1 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Owen- Thanks for the quick reply. My car is a 1955. If the attachment method is the same, I would really appreciate any photos.
You may send them to rjrussell13@atlanticbb.met
Thanks again
RJR

Posted on: 2015/10/1 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
My 55 Caribbean also has snaps on the top of the rear seat for the boot.

Posted on: 2015/10/1 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2015/10/3 7:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved