Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator light coming on when idling '56 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
My '56 Clipper runs fine, with the exception that when the car is idling at a stop; the instrument panel's generator light turns on. I can turn off the light by lightly revving up the engine's idle with a light tap on the accelerator pedal. It has been about 2,000 miles since the last tune-up. I think this means I'm getting a low charge to the battery from the generator when the car is idling. I don't have this problem when cruising a normal driving speeds. I have a service manual, and after reading it I'm thinking of replacing the voltage regulator. Any suggestions for troubleshooting somewhere else, before I replace the voltage regulator?

Posted on: 2015/9/19 18:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Generator light coming on when idling '56 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
could be that your idle is to low. The generator may not be putting out enough to keep your idiot light out. My Clipper has been doing this for the last 40years. I finally put in an alternator and no more problem.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 18:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ken, what you're experiencing is completely normal and as-designed performance! The threshold RPM at which generators begin to have an output is usually a bit higher than idle speed. Replace nothing, adjust nothing, just drive and enjoy. If it really bothers you, check your idle speed with a tachometer, possibly it's a bit low.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 18:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The light being on or flickering when car is at idle is an accepted norm and so stated in the owners manual. Since yours turns off when engine is running faster I'd say all is well.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.13 KB)
209_55fdf2fd8790f.jpg 502X560 px

Posted on: 2015/9/19 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Thanks you all for such a quick reply. I may adjust my idle, and that's about it.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 20:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved