Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1953 Front door interchangeably
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hi, The drivers side door on my Clipper Sportster is damaged near the a pillar / hinge area. When I first purchased the car the door would not close because the latch mechanism was broken. I found the parts at the bottom of the door and fixed the latch setup.

Now the door is not closing all the way, it looks like it's sitting to high at the A pillar area. I removed the door to have a look at everything and the whole area next the the hinges is all bent. It's really hard to explain because it doesn't look to have any accident damage to the door.

I can take pictures and post them if you guys want to see what I'm talking about.

Anywho, I'm wondering if the doors are the same from 51-54 or just 53-54?

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Posted on: 2016/1/22 2:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Front door interchangeably
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Chris

Packard changed the windshield/A-pillar/front door frame for all sedans for the '53 models so only 1951-52 interchange and only 1953-54 interchange. See small pictures. They were going for a more hardtop look for the sedans was the motivation.

Please post pictures, there is plenty of worthwhile advice here once we see pictures to determine what to do.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (6.46 KB)
409_56a22d95c9d61.jpg 250X162 px

jpg  (6.24 KB)
409_56a22db5c041e.jpg 250X180 px

Posted on: 2016/1/22 8:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
All Hard Top and Convertible 53-54 use the same front door.

All Sedans 53-54 use the same front doors.

With the obvious exception of the trim holes. Replacement doors from packard came with no holes drilled and it was up to the dealer/body shop to drill the "blank" to match the door it replacing.

If you door is mangled as you say, I would also make sure to replace the hinges themselves as they may also be damaged.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 11:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might get in touch with Gerry at Packards Southwest. As I recall from one of the photos he posted there were quite a few doors from that period lined up. He might have the one your model needs already having the correct trim holes.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here's the thread where Gerry(packardssouthwest) advertised doors.

Posted on: 2016/1/22 18:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi Chris

Packard changed the windshield/A-pillar/front door frame for all sedans for the '53 models so only 1951-52 interchange and only 1953-54 interchange. See small pictures. They were going for a more hardtop look for the sedans was the motivation.

Please post pictures, there is plenty of worthwhile advice here once we see pictures to determine what to do.

Steve

Thank you very much for the great info Steve. I wasn't aware of those changed between those years. I was worried before when I thought I had four years of doors but now even more so because I only have two years :(

Here are some pictures I took to show what I'm talking about. Sorry about the poor lighting btw.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
All Hard Top and Convertible 53-54 use the same front door.

All Sedans 53-54 use the same front doors.

With the obvious exception of the trim holes. Replacement doors from packard came with no holes drilled and it was up to the dealer/body shop to drill the "blank" to match the door it replacing.

If you door is mangled as you say, I would also make sure to replace the hinges themselves as they may also be damaged.

Thank you for the great info Kev. That's pretty interesting about the door blanks. I didn't even consider the trim holes being different between the two years. I'll have to figure that out if I find a door off of a 54.

Quote:

HH56 wrote:
You might get in touch with Gerry at Packards Southwest. As I recall from one of the photos he posted there were quite a few doors from that period lined up. He might have the one your model needs already having the correct trim holes.

Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Here's the thread where Gerry(packardssouthwest) advertised doors.

Thank you HH56 and Ozstatman for that info. I'm going to try and see if I can find one locally first and if not then I will certainly get a hold of Gerry.

-Chris

Posted on: 2016/1/23 4:21
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It not that the trim holes are different between just the years, but between different models even in the same year. Unless you find a door off of the same model you have, there is going to be some hole welding and drilling required.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 13:08
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Wouldn't the '51 and '52 250 Mayfair and convertible also have the same hardtop door as the '53 and '54 hardtops and convertibles? they also had the squared corners, unlike the rounded corners of the sedans.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Looks like the door has been "sprung". Caught on something while it was open......

John

Posted on: 2016/1/23 13:31
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Even on the Hardtops and Convertibles the 51-52 and 53-54 are different as are the windshields. When in doubt, the Parts List always settles the arguments.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 19:00
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved