Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Control Assembly Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I've started to overhaul a spare Ultramatic I have and am hoping someone can answer a question relating to the upper valve body.

When I disassembled the upper body I noticed a difference between the diagram in the 51-54 Service Manual and the valve body I am checking. Looking at the Parts Listing might possibly have solved the problem but thought I had better get opinions from the ever-helpful experts on packardinfo, who will probably know the answer.

Figure 36 (page 12 of 51-54 Service Manual) shows a slider valve "Valve - Control Oil Pump Check" Group Number 3.579. When I took the end plate off the bore there was no slider in there. Just the empty bore, with a couple of folded black steel clips pressed into slots along the bore, effectively blanking off the bore. One of the clips (- closest to the cover plate) has a small hole drilled in it, approximately in the centre (see photos below). Other one is the same but no hole.

I grabbed a spare valve body and checked it - same thing. They are both off 24th series cars.

Checked the Parts Listing and noticed that Group 3.579 on Plate 143 is a slider whereas it appears that the Plate 144 illustration is showing the two folded steel clips (- although the diagram is not very clear but it looks like two small clips are shown).

The Parts Listing has three different p/n's for Group 3.579:

421904 suits 23rd series Ultramatics
423547 suits 24th series, 1 piece, Front
434527 ditto, 1 piece, Rear.

So could it be that Packard changed the design and replaced the slider valve with these two clips for the 24th series Ultra's? Maybe the slider was unnecessary and could be replaced?

Also, I wanted to be sure that the folded clip with the drilled hole is in the correct slot, and check the orientation of it also. It is only drilled on the one face, so the way it is placed in the slot might be important. The Manual doesn't give any details about this.

Any help appreciated thanks!

Showing position of the two clips
Click to see original Image in a new window

Clip with a hole drilled on one face. Other clip is plain (no hole)

Another view

Posted on: 2016/2/23 7:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Control Assembly Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Hope this may help

Attach file:

jpg  (210.33 KB)
1052_56cc64613d2f9.jpg 1030X1280 px

jpg  (193.89 KB)
1052_56cc648f10bf4.jpg 997X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/23 8:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Control Assembly Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yes - that is most helpful thanks.

I have the first bulletin among my notes and totally missed it. The second one possibly overlooked due to being captioned "25th Series".

In addition, I can also assume that my spare upper body 'valve' doesn't have the hole drilled owing to: a)either the valve has been placed wrongly or b)the drilling of a hole was a later mod that has not been completed on that unit.

(BTW, I enjoyed viewing all the pics of the "shop supplies" you posted recently. Really neat to be able to see the original Packard offerings).

Posted on: 2016/2/23 20:14
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved