Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 103

29tons, indhd20s, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Ultramatic Driveshaft
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

qbert
See User information
Hey Guys,

I cannot find much info on this so here it goes... I'm replacing the pinion shaft seal so I figured I would replace the rear universal at the same time.

The two universal bearings on the rear axle side come out easy once the slip key is removed. The two on the drive shaft show no snap ring or lock key so I have no idea how to pull or press them out.

Can anyone help me with this? I cannot find anything in the service manual about this setup.

Posted on: 2016/7/11 21:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Ultramatic Driveshaft
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is not much factory info but there are a few paragraphs in various service manuals. Here is the 51-4 info. I don't recall if there is much difference between 47 and 53 but I had no real problems in changing a 47 rear. The bearings were very tightly pressed into the yoke and the instructions saying to tap them out were somewhat optimistic though.. Is the type installed on your car not covered? If so, perhaps checking a 46-50 or 55-6 parts manual will have some into.

Hopefully you just need the rears. Front ball and trunion parts for senior Ultramatic models are non existent and several have had to resort to getting a modern slip joint type installed if theirs needed work.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Ujoint_XVII.pdf

Posted on: 2016/7/11 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you dig a little deeper through the muck you will find that there are c-clips around the bearing caps on the inside of the yoke.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 5:53
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

qbert
See User information
I sure hope so, nothing else makes sense. Will check today.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 8:23
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

qbert
See User information
Fantastic! Clips came right off. Will soak the bearings with PB Blaster then pull those on out.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 9:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved