Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mahle oilfilter for Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I took a Napa 1080 to my local auto parts store here, and walked away with what I think is a good german equivalent of the filters that I had been getting from the US. It is a Mahle Ox79D
The outside dimensions are very close, within 1mm. The only potentially significant difference is that the rubber ring that goes around the tube in the center of the filter is a tight, rather than loose fit like on the napa 1080.
I think this will make no difference, since it would seem actually better to have this joint between the center tube and filter sealed, but thought I would ask here.
Link to Mahle filter

I'll put this in the parts xref after final verification of fit.

Wow, this is the same filter that is used on the porsche 356 and 912! Small world That makes it a bypass filter cartidge.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 3:53
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Re: Mahle oilfilter for Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I use Mahle filters in my 635CSi BMW with no problems. They seem to be good quality.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Are you sure they are bypass not full flow?

Posted on: 2016/10/19 1:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Yes, I am positive that the porshce filter is a bypass filter. I assume that the Mahle filter that is sold for the porsche application then uses a finer filter element since it is a bypass. -At least I hope so!

Posted on: 2016/10/19 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
The NAPA 1080 filter is manufactured by Wix.
The Wix number would be 51080 for the same filter if this would help in locating a filter in Deutschland.

Posted on: 2016/10/20 13:44
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I am a bit surprised Porsche used a bypass type filter after everyone else changed to full flow! This confirms my theory that bypass is BETTER than full flow, and car companies only changed to full flow because of hydraulic valve lifters. On engines with solid lifters they continued to use the bypass type.

The rubber seal is supposed to be a tight fit.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Porsche used the bypass fiter on the 4cyl 356 and 912 engine until 1969. So they did hang on to bypass filtering into about the early/mid 1960's when they came out with the 6 cyl 911 engine. The 6cyl had full flow filtering. I think they kept the bypass on the 4cyl engine becasue that was the "cheap engine" and they were not making any big design changes in the last 10 years of production.
The common consensus in the porsche crowd is that converting to full flow filtering is the best thing you can do for your engine if you actually drive the car.
It might be comparing apples and oranges, but here is an article about porsche full flow conversions.
Full Flow PDF

Here is another article about bypas filter in porsche 4cyl engines. bypass at porsche

Posted on: 2016/10/28 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Tobs.

Instructive articles.
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/10/28 11:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It would be interesting to know the life of a 356 converted to full flow. Have any topped 100,000 miles? Can any of the difference in engine life between 356 and 911 be accounted for by better oil, such as synthetics, and better design and materials?

The information contradicts other sources that claim little or no difference in engine life and wear between full flow and bypass filtration but this was on Studebaker V8s. They were made with bypass filters from 1951 to 1961 and full flow from 1962 to 1965. A Studebaker expert who has rebuilt or examined hundreds of engines, says there is no difference in engine life or wear.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 11:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Well, this is an old thread, but thought I would bring it up again. More of me thinking about "teaching an old dog new tricks" -not that my or any of our packards could be referred to as dogs (other than lovingly)
Anyway, in the fancy porsche circle, lots of people (myself included) run the original bypass filter, and have retrofitted a full flow onto the engine.
This "SAE paper" from the 50s that lots of people reference was found by Ron LaDow, and I thought it would be interesting for people here too. I haven't bought it yet, but winter is coming, and there will be more time for reading, so I may spring for it.
Here is a link to SAE SAE journal website
Here is also another link to the porsche forum where there is a summary and discussion of the article.
912 full flow forum

It may still be the case that other things break on packard engines before things wear out due to dirty oil. (rings, valves) but I wouldn't mind having clean oil all the time.

Posted on: 2020/10/8 15:01
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved