Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chroming?
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Anyone have a good experience with a chroming company other than Pauls Chrome in Pennsylvania. He's very good I know but expensive. Looking for a nice job on some small pieces.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/7 17:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Chroming?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Quite a few major restoration shops as well as individuals like myself that want excellent work have relied on Frankford Plating in Philadelphia for many, many years. They are at 2505 Orthodox Street, Phila.

The work they take in from restoration shops that need fast turn-around will always get top priority, so you can expect excellent workmanship but not necessarily fast delivery. And if you're looking for something cheaper than Paul's, Frankford probably isn't what you want.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
If u only have to pay for something one time u got bargain

Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Hanlon in Richmond Va

Posted on: 2016/12/7 21:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
This is what's happening - 20 years ago I had a very reputable chrome shop do the chrome work on my '54 Caribbean - Grill (oh boy that grill - lotsa chrome!), bumpers, tail fins, taillights, headlight rims, the whole enchilada. $7,400. 15 Years ago I did my Pacific - the same stuff as my Carib and that came to $11,500. Now I get a estimate to do my '39 Super - no bumpers or anything like that, just the grill bars (or slats) in the radiator shroud and keep in mind not all the bars are chromed, half of them are painted and are in the paint shop as I type this, so we're talking 14 or 15 - 1 inch wide by 28 inch long slats and the price comes to $3,200. I figured $600 tops and my wife says "knowing you it will be $1200. Well haha the jokes on her, wrooooong!

So I looked at Hanlon Plating in VA. BBB gave them an F with many customer complaints and another plater in Rhode Island which does good work but a guy I know said he sent them a small part and got it back 3 years later. Too long for me.
So now we come to Librandi's Plating in Pennsylvania. BBB gave them B+ rating and received some good testimonials in other car club websites (particularly the CCCA) so I wondered if any Packard owners used Librandi's Plating? How did it go?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/10 0:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Well, my grill is on it's way to Librandi"s. Will let you know how it comes out.

Posted on: 2016/12/15 23:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
In the 1960's I did some restoration on a customer's '34 1107 V-12 Club sedan. Removed every bit of chrome I could, bumpers, grille assb, headlights, park lights, hub caps, trunk rack bars, door latches, dovetails etc etc. Filled the trunk of a '57 Lincoln 2 dr and drove it to Hank the Plater. Beautiful work, took perhaps 4-6 weeks, lost nothing. Oh.....$300. Time machine anyone?

Posted on: 2016/12/16 0:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
For what is is worth, here are my pricing on triple plated chrome bumpers for 37's. to give a ball park. Grills and radiators etc. need to look at for pricing.

30-41 Front $ 700
30-41 Rear $ 675
30-41 Guards, Each $ 175

Posted on: 2016/12/16 12:25
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All exterior and interior chrome, all under-hood nickel for a 1936 Twelve convertible Victoria, done to highest standard for AACA Senior/Parkin award quality - about $35,000 3 years ago. It's often far more than just plating; its the preparation that runs up costs - repair, overplating, grinding and polishing to reestablish profiles and dimensions, etc.

Posted on: 2016/12/16 12:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Yes and sorry, I made the assumption that it is generally understood that Repairs and Restoration are additional costs which is billed at time and materials and that not every job required extensive repair.

The intent of sharing costs was in response to the original question of seeking more affordable cost in the example of $3200 vs $600 with the same high quality, and the answer is yes.

I have been told by many that I am a fool for not charging double or triple prices. Just because I can does not mean I should. Labor, Overhead, and Profits are covered no need to drain wallets. I let the praises and reviews on the various forums speak for themselves when discussing affordability.

You are very correct that it is all in the Prep work. 80% of our labor cost are in cleaning and prep, you can not short change this step if you want High End Quality.

We have worked Trailer Queens and show winners in our short three years. Just completed 56J for the 2017 International Show. Stripped to bare metal, body, Two Tone Paint, door alignment, and complete chrome $15k out the door. Yes, could have gotten double but Client so thrilled brought in 3 49 Packards, it is a win win for both parties.

Sorry to ramble but we are very passionate about what we do and focus what owners are seeking.

Below is chrome repair the 56J.

Attach file:

jpg  (192.31 KB)
17226_5854b78b5fb71.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (161.67 KB)
17226_5854b79bb65d3.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (286.33 KB)
17226_5854b7ae14ffb.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (65.06 KB)
17226_5854b7ba1c350.jpg 816X616 px

Posted on: 2016/12/16 23:25
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved