Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 96

r1lark, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Question about elecromatic option
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Hi new here and to Packard's I just picked up a 48 super eight 2 door and I'm in love with.
It has the elecromatic trans option init but not working and I think it's part of my shifter problems, my question is can all the components of the option be removed and it work just like a normal trans or is there anything I have to do to it after removing it all?
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on: 2017/1/2 7:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Question about elecromatic option
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Electromatic is a means of automatically depressing the clutch. It is a totally independent mechanism only connected to the clutch linkage by a wire rope cable. The other mechanical connection to the car is done with the accelerator linkage. Being totally separate from the transmission, doubtful it is responsible for any shifting problems. Once the switch is turned off or fuse removed, the mechanism is completely inoperative and just sits there. The driver has full control of the clutch just as if the car never had the option. The only interference possible would be if the wire rope is damaged or misadjusted and is causing the clutch to hang up.

There are some common issues with the Packard column shift which are more likely causing any shifting problems. You might give us a description of what is happening and I expect some appropriate suggestions will be forthcoming.

If you do want to completely remove the Electromatic, it can be done but if you remove the control valve portion there is different accelerator linkage that will need to be found. The most common failure item is the rubber diaphragm in the power cylinder or the wire rope. Both are readily available in repro. Many of the other parts are also available. You might consider keeping the assy intact and even getting it working. It does make quite the conversation piece and when working does provide a nice feature.

Of course, since your other post indicates the car has had some other "features" installed, Elecromatic might be the least of the things being discussed. Still, working units are not commonly seen. Many of those units that had issues after Packards demise when parts or usually understanding of their operation was not easily found, were partially or completely removed.

To get a better understanding of the unit have a read thru the training manual.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchTrainingManual.pdf

Posted on: 2017/1/2 9:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
If you wish to remove the assembly I can supply the correct linkage, or I have a lot of electromatic parts if you want to fix it. Dell

Posted on: 2017/1/2 10:00

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to make sure it's clear to you, you do not have to remove any parts of the Electromatic to have the transmission and clutch to function conventionally. All you have to do is to turn off the Electromatic (switch or fuse). It would also be a good idea to plug the vacuum line coming across from the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 10:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
From what I can see is the shift linkage is hitting the cable going into the diaphragm. 1st and 3rd shifts don't feel like they go all the way down and can see the linkage hitting the cable when shifting it.
also it looks like the shift linkage is not mounted correctly and moves around a lot it looks like it just swings around on one bolt. Anybody know if this is correct or am I missing something.

Back to the cable I see that it goes into the diaphram and then goes around a pulley and the other end isn't attached to anything. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on: 2017/1/2 18:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are probably good illustrations of the cable assembly in the shop manual and parts list. But quickly, the other end of the cable attaches to an extended ear which is part of the starter motor case.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 19:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The idler is mounted with two bolts to the engine block. The levers are on a single long stem which is attached to the piece mounted to engine block. The top end of the stem should have a short round bar going thru a hole which is supported on the other end by a bracket attached to the frame near the steering box. It does have a small amount of free motion which is to accommodate any engine rocking so that motion is not transmitted to the gearshift lever.

If the Eclutch assy is missing the cable anchor which wraps around the starter (but is not a direct part of the motor case), the cable will be slack and could fall down and get tangled in the lower part of the idler and rods. Normally it is tight enough to be well above the idler assy.

There is also a switch mounted on an arm which in turn is on a long stem like bracket. In the photo, that is the silver piece just above the cable and to the rear of the power cylinder. It is supposed to be adjusted so as to have its plunger pushed in by the top part of the idler arm when trans is fully detented in third. It could be misadjusted so the switch is too close. That could prevent full travel of the idler when shifting to third.

There were two types of cable anchor assys. One is a cast piece held on the starter motor by a large U bolt. The other is essentially a piece of approx 14 or 16ga formed sheet metal which wraps around the starter case.

Here are some photos -- first is showing the routing with the direct switch in view and the second is a close up of the sheet metal style anchor. Third shows the shift linkage. On the linkage, check all the pivots -- holes on levers and pins on the rods for wear. There should be bushings and spring and flat washers at each location. The spring washers could be broken allowing slop and the pins on the ends of the rods are known for wear. Either causes lost motion during shifts. If enough wear comes into play, by the time the action reaches the trans the levers may not fully detent.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.58 KB)
209_586af09453499.jpg 1252X1252 px

jpg  (45.74 KB)
209_586af0a58a7ff.jpg 624X636 px

jpg  (73.45 KB)
209_586af6139d579.jpg 1012X1088 px

Posted on: 2017/1/2 19:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
HH56 thank you so much for this brake down it definitely shines a light on a few things and im still lost on some others lol.
I definitely have a big problem with that cable and I'm thinking the whole linkage setup. My cable is not attached to the starter at all and I can move the linkage around a lot by hand.
I tried looking it up but I couldn't find what the switch that's on the gear shaft is called anyone know?

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about

Attach file:

jpg  (179.78 KB)
150528_586b0bc5672ee.jpg 960X1600 px

Posted on: 2017/1/2 21:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That switch at the end of steering column looks to be the combination reverse light, OD safety switch. I can't tell how many terminals are in the broken off portion. It looks like the large switch so if it has 4 terminals, one set of terminals (pair distant from plunger) would work the the reverse light. The pair closest to plunger was a safety disconnect switch used on early 48 cars that had an R9 overdrive.

The R9 OD used in the early part of 48 production had a lockup issue that was partially corrected by adding a forced disconnect of power to the OD when shifting into reverse. The function was part of the reverse light switch, or since the light was an option, the safety portion alone could be used. The R9 was superseded by the R11 overdrive and when the R11 went into production there was no further need for the safety switch. Most switches reverted back to a smaller switch with 2 terminals for the reverse light only. The larger switch could still be used for reverse light only and, on a lot of cars the R9 was field changed to the R11 and the original switch stayed.

If you have an OD look at the relay on the firewall for an easy way to identify. If it is an R9 there will be a large black almost square relay about the size of the voltage regulator. It will have 6 terminals. If an R11, the relay will be a smaller rectangle with 4 terminals and a fuse on the side.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
HH56,
Thank you so much for that info now at least I know what this broken piece I found is. By the way thats xactly how it looked when I found it Lol... I had nothing to do with that

Posted on: 2017/1/2 22:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved