Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Parking Brake Cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
When I started to reassemble my 1937 120 touring sedan, I see now where the parking brake cables have about a 2 inch slack in them. I tried readjusting them to the shortest possible length, but they are still too slack. Has anyone any ideas on what might have happened here and also what I might be able to do to correct this. They are too slack for the parking brake to be properly actuated. I could purchase new cables, but I think that I would still have the same problem. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/1/25 9:40
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Parking Brake Cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the cables and parts are the same and were OK before disassembly the only thing I can see that would result in that much slack in the cables would be some kind of mis-assembly with the anchoring or working levers inside the drums. I believe the cables extend out of the sheathing a fair amount inside the drums so if the end of the lever is resting in the wrong spot that would account for some slack.

Are there any adjacent holes in the frame for the center equalizer setup and if so, any chance that could be where the problem lies?

Posted on: 2017/1/25 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Check the next to last page of this repair summary to be sure you did all the things to take up slack.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1937_IllustatedRepairManual.pdf
If the handbrake were left very tight in storage, it might have stretched the cables and you may need new ones, if the above doesn't do the trick.

Posted on: 2017/1/25 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
My thanks to both of you for the information. I shall pursue both paths to determine where the problem lies. The placement of the equalizer was part of my initial investigation also, but it appears that there is only one place to attach it and one way it goes. The cables did appear to be in the correct position prior to disassembly, without slack, though, and not stretched, but, again, I am not ruling that out. I have downloaded the repair manual and will indeed study it closely while I investigate further. Again, my thanks to both of you.

Posted on: 2017/1/25 11:54
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I did finally get back to checking the parking brake cables and also where they should go. I can only find one specific place where the equalizer bracket can go and that is inside of the battery box and down near the X-joint of the chassis. I could not locate any other place where the bracket would fit and still work smoothly. I have reassembled one side of the rear brakes and adjusted the cable to take up as much slack as possible, but it is still not short enough. Does anyone know the exact length of these parking brake cables when they are new? If mine have stretched, then I'll purchase new ones, if they are of the correct length. Otherwise, I might have to have someone shorted these somehow. Thanks again for your help and information.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 17:21
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
To R. Howe
I measured the inner, upper cable length and it measures 62&1/2 from the threaded end to the bottom of the link(not to the pin hole where it connects to the hand brake lever). The outer housing is 28&3/4" long. Hope this is some help. I had the reverse of what you have, because I was sold a lower 120C cable instead. They were to short and I couldn't put the pin in one side.

Posted on: 2017/2/8 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
R Howe - Do you have a copy of "The Production Packard" by Dar Kuehl? It is a must have if you own a 1935-37 junior model Packard. Lots of photos and drawings and text. There is a multi-page section on brakes. Probably available from Amazon or eBay.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/8 18:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thank you. I'll check that out tomorrow morning for the length of 62 1/2".

Posted on: 2017/2/9 15:56
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks for the information on the 35 - 37 book. I'll go and see if I can locate one today. I really appreciate the information and also, I really like your quotes. Especially the one concerning the past. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 15:57
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved