Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
any suggestions for an electric fuel pump for my 55 Clipper.
I know newer cars require higher pressure because of fuel injection. At least that's what I've been told.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 15:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Electric fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several possibilities but for the one many have used check out the Airtex E8012S. It is available at Amazon and most parts stores. 12v solenoid type, 5 to 9 Psi output and 5/16 hose which is the same size as the Packard fuel line. It has a pos and neg power wire so changing the way they hook up can accommodate either polarity. If you are going to do the typical mount in the line near the fuel tank with an on/off switch where electric is only used to push fuel thru the existing mechanical pump and filter for priming or as needed, it will do nicely. Unlike some rotary pumps, the solenoid type will allow the mechanical pump to pull fuel thru when the electric is off. Downside is you do hear the pulsing action at quiet times when car is not moving.

If you are going to completely replace the mechanical pump then that pressure may be a bit high and will need a pressure reducer. The E8016S, also a 12v solenoid type with 5/16 ports has a lower output pressure at 2.5 - 4.5 psi which puts it more along with the stock mechanical pump output pressure of 3.5 - 5.5 psi. If mounted near the tank that lower pressure may not be enough to supply an adequate amount pushing thru the distance of the line and then thru the filter so it would be better if it was mounted in the engine compt.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.69 KB)
209_591f6d7158b66.jpg 1514X350 px

Posted on: 2017/5/19 16:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Electric fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The pulsing click of the electric pump if used as a booster to get system primed is helpful. If you listen to it it starts of clicking rapidly until line is charged then makes slower clicks as it produces pressure in the line meaning system is full. Sort of like audible gauge. Mine is only for starting and after hot turn off and restart as the enclosed carb on supercharged engine tends to make fuel evaporate from the carb
when engine is shut off when weather is hot. I think it helps save starter and the battery.

Posted on: 2017/5/20 9:03
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved