Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Factory A/C Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have some of the factory blueprints for the 1953-1954 Air Conditioner components and have a question, and probably others as I go through them.

Right now I am trying to understand the way the Rear Fender Intake Hose Adapter (448283) connects to the body. It appears to be simply a flared 2" diameter tube with a .049" wall so my question is, was the hole in the fender cut smaller, then flared downward somehow to match the adapter for welding/brazing and soldering? The blueprint shows what appears to be another ring around the top edge and that's what I am trying to figure out. Also, what was the location of the cutout on the fender?

Posted on: 2017/5/25 18:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Factory A/C Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, the adapter tube is flush with the bottom side of fender and the ring is on top of the fender to provide a bit of height so rain water is a little less likely to drop down in the adapter. The ring kind of lets water run around the tube opening and out a small notch in the back of the vent and gasket. The diameter of the adapter fits the ID of the flex duct connecting to the AC return air plenum. I don't remember the size but think it is around 2".

The actual working part of the Packard vent is the first 3 or 4 inches. There is a partition inside that blocks off the rest so the overall Packard size is mostly for aesthetics and the styling look of the vent. If you compare the Packard vent to the Cadillac or Imperial, IMO, those look short and stubby on the fender and not well integrated. The Chrysler is not too bad but is more on the side of the fender rather than the top.

I don't have a dimension where the adapter was to be placed on the fender but here is a photo showing the vent location. You might be able to scale it out. The photo of the wax casting is of the vent I made when Kev loaned one of his to make a mold. As I recall the tube location inside the vent is about as drawn. A screen fits in the groove at the front. The other photo is of various vents. All had a similar tube adapter and duct arrangement mounted into the fender.

Edit: Added a better view of the front to back location of the vent on the fender.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.98 KB)
209_59276733e1f22.jpg 840X633 px

jpg  (50.06 KB)
209_59276da906242.jpg 1280X594 px

jpg  (28.22 KB)
209_59276ddaa86ae.jpg 587X457 px

jpg  (18.34 KB)
209_592772bd150b7.jpg 500X360 px

Posted on: 2017/5/25 18:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! Great photos and some, especially the bottom side of the scoop, I have not seen before.

I believe you answered my question but just to be sure we are not speaking at cross-purposes, the adapter tube that I am taking about goes under the scoop and is separate from it. It is where the question is since the scoop itself has no hose connection. I read blueprints well (as a former journeyman prototype machinist) but this one shows an extra "ring" which, the more I look at it, can only be a flared-down portion of the fender with the tube dropped down into it and welded in place.

Here is a side view showing the fender contour, then a close up of the bit that is causing the confusion. I hope these are clear enough and attach as they do not show in the preview!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.31 KB)
60923_592772090d270.jpg 469X394 px

jpg  (55.44 KB)
60923_592772a64d56b.jpg 829X624 px

Posted on: 2017/5/25 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am fairly sure it is the hose adapter or connection holding the duct to the fender. As you said, the scoop has no hose connection. It just bolts to the fender via 3 studs which extend down thru and has washers and nuts on the bottom. A gasket provides the air seal between the scoop and fender and air is drawn or directed down into the tube and duct.

I don't have any good photos of the parts inside the trunk but here is a couple from the SM. The tube in question would be for the end of the tube which connects to the similar tube connection on the return plenum. The fender tube is just a short maybe 2 or 3 inch long piece which the duct slides over and then a clamp goes over both to hold the duct on.

I remember distinctly the raised portion on the top of the fender under the scoop. I can't say for sure it had a ring as a base because it was all leaded in but the opening did stick up maybe 1/8" above the surface of the fender.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.65 KB)
209_59277a88aea9c.jpg 800X364 px

Posted on: 2017/5/25 19:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, your description makes far more sense than that shown in the blueprint so there must have been a change made once it was realized that water could easily get down into the air intake hose. It would also be easier to install since only a round 2" diameter hole in the fender would be needed. As always, I appreciate your help and insights!

Posted on: 2017/5/25 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
By the way, on the scoops' rubber gasket, I also have the blueprint of it which shows a change of an added slot at the rear to allow any water to drain. I have a NOS pair that I will have to check when next at my shop to see if it has the notch or not but unfortunately this part isn't being reproduced with or without it nor do I expect it ever will be.

Posted on: 2017/5/25 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doubt there is much call for the rubber so don't expect they will ever be reproduced commercially. Kev sent a gasket along with the scoop so I made a mold of that too & made a pair out of urethane having a slightly thicker edge. When Kev gets around to doing his scoops he will check for fit. There is an opening thru to the rear of the gasket so water can drain.

Have actually figured out a different way to mold them since doing that first pair so if there is ever any more made they will be thinner and more like the original with a better profiled edge meeting the fender.

Posted on: 2017/5/25 20:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I see that at least the early cars had a steel mesh for the rear scoop inlets which was a stamped piece of steel with square holes. However, I seem to recall seeing cars that used a wire screen. Did later cars switch to an easier to make screen or did all use the stamped wire mesh? Also, we these painted body color like the scoop or where they plated?

Posted on: 2017/5/28 16:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have only seen the square die cut. I think they were plated but cannot be sure. The ones that came with the Pacific (green car) I did seemed to be chrome but showed signs of rust. I repainted them silver. The one on Kev's scoop was very rusty and I didn't see any paint on the rear or semi protected edges on his either.

The square size pattern must have been something popular then -- or maybe they had it custom stamped. I did find square perforated metal but couldn't find any close to the size square and separation between squares Packard used.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! The company that made them still exists and still offers the same pattern in steel, aluminum and stainless. The blueprint says to paint them but I don't recall ever seeing them painted.

Attach file:

jpeg  (31.45 KB)
60923_592b50432e449.jpeg 848X379 px

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved