Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'34 1101 Eight, Sluggish and Missing After 30 Minutes on the Road
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Everything with the car seems fine for the first 6-8 miles and/or 20-25 minutes into a drive. Then, almost without exception, the car starts to miss, feel sluggish, and gives the impression it is going to quit any minute. It doesn't, and I make it back home, but it runs that way all the way back to the house. I can and do maintain a speed of about 35-40 MPH on the way back and I've tried to increase the speed to see what will happen and I get the same coughing & missing as before and the car does not seem to pick up much speed when I try to push it....it sort of makes that sound you get when the engine is running out of gas, a bit of a vacuum/sucking sound and you go no place. Once I back off the accelerator, we're back to the coughing and sluggish sounds and running. Once home I haven't tried to wait awhile and try the drive again, but I've experienced the exact same running issues the last two times I've taken it out, two days apart. The whole run is on flat, level road, and outside temperature was 68 one day and 80 the other. And yes, it has almost a full tank of gas. Any ideas out there about what is causing these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TomB

Posted on: 2017/8/15 23:57
 Top  Print 

Re: '34 1101 Eight, Sluggish and Missing After 30 Minutes on the Road
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your symptoms are not unlike those I experienced when one of the two ignition coils was beginning to fail. Not that there aren't other possibilities as well, including the power feed wire to the coils beginning to short out inside the metal conduit from the ignition switch. But simple enough to evaluate your coils, get a universal 6-volt coil from NAPA or elsewhere and, one at a time, temporarily substitute it for one of the original coils and go for a drive.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 8:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks O.D. I'll give it a try ! As always, sincerely appreciate your help and all those years of experience behind it.
Best Regards,
TomB

Posted on: 2017/8/16 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
O.D., Just getting to this test today, but am wondering, if one or both of the coils are failing, why wouldn't it show up immediately after I start the engine or drive down the road for a couple of blocks, rather than taking a 20-30 minute, 7 or so mile drive ??
Just trying to understand as much as I can about how all this works !
Thanks,
TomB

Posted on: 2017/8/19 13:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good performance on start-up and when cold but beginning to breakup as the coil begins to get warmer is classic sign of impending coil failure. Sorry, I can't give you the scientific explanation for what is changing inside the coil with temperature increases, but perhaps someone else can and will. I had to replace one of my originals years ago with a Larry Justice unit, and just last year I again had a failure and installed a new Bob Connole coil set. In both cases the symptoms were as you have described.

Posted on: 2017/8/19 14:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
O.D., I'd really be at a loss with a scientific explanation !
Your explanation is all I need to better understand the basic "whats and whys" of what is going on, and again, Thank you very much.
Regards,
TomB

Posted on: 2017/8/19 14:47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved