Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23 rd series exhaust
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Has anyone purchased a complete exhaust system for their 1950 2301 4dr sedan with the 288 engine, recently? I'm trying to get the best system for the best value. Kanter, Max Merritt, Classic Exhaust and Waldron sell complete systems. Any opinions on their exhaust systems. I'm just looking for product evaluation. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/9/29 15:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 23 rd series exhaust
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've had experiences with both Kanter and Waldron and both were completely satisfactory.

Posted on: 2017/9/29 17:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you specify to cut the tail pipe for lowest shipping cost, Waldron's pipe is one piece and is more authentic. Leaving it long makes the shipping go by freight and is much higher. Classic automatically cuts the tailpipe in two pieces so it can be shipped UPS. I don't know if there is an option to leave it long but the charge is lower and IMO, if the car is not torn apart, not having to fit in that single long piece also makes it a bit easier to install. Waldron has all the clamps etc so you can buy and have them shipped with the system while with Classic you need to find your own.

Posted on: 2017/9/29 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
If the tailpipe is cut will it need to be welded or do they make the cut ends slip-fit? If pipe needs to be welded then it is not a do it yourself job. thanks

Posted on: 2017/9/29 18:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Classic offering for the 47 Custom is a slip joint and is located a few inches down from the top of the hump as it passes over the rear axle. I would think the other models are made the same way.

Posted on: 2017/9/29 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...When I needed to purchase a new exhaust system for our 1949 288 Deluxe, I looked around and then I used a 36" Glass Pack Muffler and new pipe from Midas not far from where I live. I showed them the parts book and the design and what they installed is a pretty good copy. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/9/29 20:51
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
Dear All,

I used the recommended replacement muffler from Max Merritt on my 49 coupe (model 2365) and it worked out well. They have them built from scratch at a local shop as close to original specifications as possible.

The original mufflers on these cars were straight through, meaning that you could visibly look right through down the center of it. This was done so that the right amount of backpressure is applied in the exhaust system.

Ernie's suggestion is also a good one and I first tried the fiberglass pack before I ordered the replacement from Max Merritt. The glass pack worked well but was a little louder than what I wanted from the car.

Posted on: 2017/10/2 21:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved