Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve spring retainer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I'm putting the valve springs back together, and I found an upper spring retainer that is missing it's 'top'. I'm not sure if it had it when I pulled the springs out, or if it came off during the last few months. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the upper retainer requires this bit. So,

1) Does anyone know a source for spring retainers for a 1930 standard eight engine?

2) If no for 1, any suggestions on what to do now.

This is very frustrating, as I have a feeling I might be in big trouble.

Thanks tons for your help.

Tom

p.s. Photo below shows the upper retainer missing it's top on the left, a complete retainer on the right.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.76 KB)
333_495572de48a94.jpg 480X443 px

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:12
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve spring retainer
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

johnoder
See User information
Howdy Thomas:

If you are up to sending parts in photo to Houston I can likely make the missing item in my machine shop. There will be no cost involved other than mailing the items back and forth.

I am assuming the missing item is a specific sized washer type part.

If the coppery look is necessary, I would have to say all I can provide is plain steel.

John Oder

P.S.
Have a fairly decent 733 axle shaft and its "hat" should one be needed. I know it is 733 as it has the single large ball bearing where the 726 has a pair of back to back Timkens.
On Edit: (There is a distinct possibility I have labored long under the assumption the big Standard Eight 733 shared the similar single ball bearing axle shaft with the 740 and 745. The reason I assumed this can be found on page 68 of Clymer's reprint of the Information book. It shows the single bearing axle assembly and a small inset labeled 726 showing the twin Timken set up. The text however, on page 71, is otherwise disposed, plainly stating both 726 and 733 were Timken equipped)

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John Oder,
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I thought I'd take the opportunity to pitch something to you. If you own a Packard or Packards, could you please enter it/them in the Owner's Registry together with pic/s, any known history and how you acquired it/them?

And sorry Tom, normal transmission can now be resumed.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
John,

Thanks for the offer. I may end up having to take up on it, though perhaps I can find a machine shop here to make it.

One question: wouldn't the steel need to be high tensile strength, given the serious pounding these spring retainers receive?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/12/27 20:48
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

johnoder
See User information
Hi Tom:

Yes it would last longer before getting beat out of shape - not that that these springs exert very much force compared to say modern high performance engines.

If I made the item I would use some of the heat treated 4140 I have laying around. This steel is only slightly less hard than the springs themselves.

Although I am a "newbie" here, all of you are cordially invited to visit Practical Machinist.com where I am a moderator (antique machinery) with over 9000 posts.

Here is a link to a set of front end shackle bolts I made when I had the 726:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/30Packard/01-1.jpg

John Oder

Posted on: 2008/12/27 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Just a quick update on the spring retainer problem. Last week I took up John Oder's offer to machine a new cap washer for the retainer. I headed down to Houston with a good retainer and the one missing the cap. And wow am I glad I did! John is a great guy, with a very cool vintage machine shop; I believe the newest piece of machinery was from 1949.

John let me hang around and watch as he made the washer, which was a very fun process. He is clearly very experienced with these old machines. After much measuring and use of machines he had the washer made and attached to the retainer! And made on period correct equipment! So, my project continues!

John,

Attached are a few picts.

Cheers,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (45.00 KB)
333_49638b4340ea5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.61 KB)
333_49638b4fdae57.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (47.63 KB)
333_49638b5e789da.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.74 KB)
333_49638b6b537e7.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2009/1/6 11:48
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

johnoder
See User information
Glad to help Tom - though the Packard design retaining business had me going there for awhile.

John

Posted on: 2009/1/6 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Nice to see that others out there are willing to help others when in need.

Tom and John,
Did you just make the cap like the picture above or did you reproduce the whole retainer. It is hard to tell from the picture of John (if that is John) holding the part. I ask because mine are okay but I think the next time if I ever need to pull them apart will be the last for them.

These springs are a pain in the rear to reassemble

Posted on: 2009/1/6 13:17
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

johnoder
See User information
Just the missing washer on top, Tom. The whole retainer would be considerably more effort in that it is basically a very small part with a very coarse double start thread. The "groove" of the thread is further complicated by being machined on each side or flank of the groove to approximate the radius of the spring's wire diameter.

This was Packard's way of getting a pair of valve springs of the same diameter on each valve.

John Oder

Posted on: 2009/1/6 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
John thanks for your reply. When I first pulled mine apart I am like how do these things come apart and how in the world were they machined. It still boggles me.

Is there any other options out there to replace these retainers when need be?

Are two springs really necessary? To me it seems one spring would be strong enough to hold the valve close.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 13:39
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved