Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

352 Engine/Transmission rebuild questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Smitty15
See User information
Just a couple, this is only my second project car, been doing the old Harley thing for years though...

The camshaft doesn't want come free, I get about a half inch, maybe less of slide out and then... stuck. Something I missed?

I am also looking for a 56 Tq Converter. The car came with a 56 trans in the trunk, because the previous owner was told it needed it. I pulled the factory trans and it looks pretty crummy, the 56 looks brand new but I need the converter for the new trans. Part of me would be up for a manual but at the same time the floor in this thing is in such amazing shape it would almost be a shame to go cutting it up!

I'm going mildly custom with this so I don't intend on stroking/boring anything, but polish, port, maybe new distributor, still learning about the car and what can/cant be done. This site has been a major help in that endeavor!!! So thanks everyone and thanks in advance for the help!

Smitty

Posted on: 2017/11/8 22:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 352 Engine/Transmission rebuild questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there is anything holding the camshaft in the engine except the thrust plate. As long as that and all the lifters are removed it should slide out.

It needs to come out very straight so maybe the camshaft has cleared a bearing and dropped slightly at the far end so it is hanging up on the edge of another bearing as it is pulled out. You might try a length of threaded rod or a long bolt that will thread into the bolt hole on the front end of the camshaft to use as a sort of a lever. You can use that to raise or control the camshaft height to help guide it thru the bearings. I believe the eccentric bolt threads are a standard 3/8-16 size but you might want to verify that..

Can't help on the converter but from where ever you get it make sure you and the seller verifies it is a 56. The 56 input shaft splines are different. About twice as many of a much finer pitch than used in the 54GS and 55. Not that it makes much difference and they will interchange but in 56 there were also two different stall speeds. Hardtops had a converter that was supposed to be a bit sportier than that used on the sedans.

All the 54GS to 56 converters look the same but because of the splines 54-55 will not work on a 56. Unfortunately I don't know of an easy visual way to tell the year on an assembled converter unless you can possibly shine a light down inside the shaft end and see enough of the splines to make a judgement. If someone else knows a way I'd be interested in learning too.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 22:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Smitty15,
to PackardInfo.

And, as a possible Quid pro quo, for "This site has been a major help" I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 23:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Smitty15
See User information
HH56 Your right on about the converters, I am looking for a 56 hard top, in other words one from a 5667. I've found one but the parts shop is asking $650 for it.

Also the guy that runs the Ultramatic Dynamics just happens to be somewhat down the road from me who says he has all he needs to build me one, except the steel half of the case. So I'm wondering, are the cases different or the same on the 55 & 56's?

My original plan was to swap everything into the old trans case but the input shaft, and rebuild the converter and just run the 56 trans guts in a 55 case, with the 55 input shaft, and the 55 converter. But it would save me a whole lot of work and money to find a 56 hard top converter.

As for the camshaft, I'll give you idea a swing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip!

Posted on: 2017/11/8 23:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are differences in the cases between the '55 and '56; for starters the '56 case is cast aluminum and '55 is cast iron.

Posted on: 2017/11/9 8:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved