Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

DavidM, 39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion level dash switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
I am not sure where the dash switch is exactly it's not on the dash
So it should be under the dash I would guess on left side
Below

Thanks
Mark

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Torsion level dash switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Under the dash, far left corner. There may be an illustration of it in the owner's manual.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 18:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
This area. Next to parking brake

Attach file:

jpg  (209.23 KB)
4498_5a159b7593946.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/11/22 10:46
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
A couple of things to remember about the Torsion-Level:

1. If you are going to change a rear tire or your car is going up on a rack, be sure to turn off the T-L.

2. When you will inevitably have your car towed on a flatbed, before your car is raised, sit on the bumper to engage the T-L. When it goes back up, get off and turn off the T-L. The back end will be higher than it should be, but this will enable the car to move up onto the tow truck bed without scraping the exhaust pipes and/or bumper.

Packards/Clippers of these years tend to ride a bit lower in the back, so all of you know what I am talking about!

Posted on: 2017/11/22 13:23
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
hello,
Found the switch no problem next obvious question which way is on and which way is off?
Thanks Again
Mark

Posted on: 2017/11/22 19:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If installed properly toggle lever toward the center of car is on and toward the door is off.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.90 KB)
209_5a1613f7aba43.jpg 480X506 px

Posted on: 2017/11/22 19:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Thanks four the information and the pic my switch is currently in the off position so today I will put it on
And check my torsion level system car has been level and no sagging on either end since I purchased it in September
Trying to find trim codes for 55 mine is 81 according to vin plate
Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/23 9:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Trim codes are in the beginning of the 1955/56 Parts & Accessories List. #81 reads "Tan cloth with white genuine leather (has Sardonyx robe rail)".

Posted on: 2017/11/23 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
1. If you are going to change a rear tire or your car is going up on a rack, be sure to turn off the T-L.

2. When you will inevitably have your car towed on a flatbed, before your car is raised, sit on the bumper to engage the T-L. When it goes back up, get off and turn off the T-L. The back end will be higher than it should be, but this will enable the car to move up onto the tow truck bed without scraping the exhaust pipes and/or bumper.

Actually, this is only half correct. You WILL have to raise the rear of the car by sitting on the rear bumper and then turning off the switch in order to change the rear tire...NOT LEVEL. The reason being that otherwise, the top of the rear tire will interfere with the top of the rear fender well opening even after the skirt (if so equipped) is removed. Ask me how I know...LOL!

Also, I NEVER use the bumper jack on front or back as all it really seems to do is bend the bumper supports and put the bumper out of whack. Instead, I use a floor jack and jack stands on the frame.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/11/23 10:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Trim codes are in the beginning of the 1955/56 Parts & Accessories List. #81 reads "Tan cloth with white genuine leather (has Sardonyx robe rail)".

For 55 cars you can also go to the Literature section and under Sales and Dealer information you will find the 1955 Dealer Book. That is the showroom album which shows the car and all the styling and mechanical features. It also has upholstery samples and even though they are faded, some paint chips showing various combinations.

For 56 cars we have the color and upholstery book. It has upholstery swatches and paint chips but unlike the 55 full showroom album, no detail information on the various mechanical or styling features although there is a 56 salesman's fact book. That is a condensed version of the showroom album outlining styling and mechanical features.

Posted on: 2017/11/23 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved