Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just some of the latest ideas for some of you that are contemplating installing a radio in your car.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.25 KB)
733_5a3b046859d79.jpg 666X450 px

Posted on: 2017/12/20 19:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Radio
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Almost looks like someone tried to install their home set in the car.

Can't imagine the hassle with early radios where in addition to the huge components there are actually different voltage A, B and sometimes C batteries that had to be installed to run the radio. Some were dry cells so had to changed periodically while others could be taken out and recharged. The early adopters really had to want and love radio.

The batteries were replaced by the Dynamotor which was a large step forward in eliminating the inconvenience but the first versions of those were quite large and noisy so had to fit in a compartment under the floor where the batteries formerly went. Later ones were smaller with a rubber lined cover so Packard installed their Dynamotor in the gloveboxes.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
October 8th, 1924 listening to the World Series.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 20:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Hmmm. No idea who these gentlemen are but the background looks very similar to Griffith Park in Los Angeles... right down to the light pole.

I have a few original photos very similar to this one. The ones I have are of Packard man and KFI radio station owner, Earle C. Anthony. In the pics he is standing with a similar Packard and similar radio set, checking on the signal broadcast from KFI in Los Angeles. Anthony used to travel all over back in the 1920s and 1930s and listen to his radio station's broadcasts since it had clear channel FCC status. He listened in from Packard automobiles, from his private train car and from his yacht, which he sailed from L.A. to Hawaii and Tahiti.

While neither of the men in this photo appear to be Mr. Anthony, I can also say that Anthony was also a huge baseball fan and was largely responsible for bringing the Dodger baseball team from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. At least one member of the family that owned the team eventually ended up on the board of Earle C. Anthony, Incorporated.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Looks to me that the problem with installing an aftermarket radio.in a Packard has been around forever. No one produces an aftermarket automotive stereo/mp3 unit for cars with positive ground.
The photo shows a solution to the problem that still works---install the negative ground system with its own power supply.
Only problem is that the battery is not being charged by the generator and you can run out of juice.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I run a hidden AM/FM radio in my 38 using a 6V pos grnd to 12 V neg grnd converter that I found on Ebay. I puts out about 2.5 amps which runs my 2 speaker unit just fine. I was lucky in that I could use the vol and tuning dials on my dash to run my radio but there are are units out there that can be run remotely.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 8:41
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Someone recently posted this link
https://redirad.com/products/redirad-am-p

I do have a 6v to 12v converter that only feeds to my cigar lighter so I can plug in my iPhone charger. I replaced the cigar lighter with a modern 12v one and reattached my original handle. There are pictures of the converter and lighter setup at The Duchess Project blog.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=300

Posted on: 2017/12/22 10:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I had wondered about adding a FM converter to my stock radio. The converter is 12 volt (neg). I could use a 6 volt to 12 volt converter to power it, but not sure how to hook it up. I assume the FM converter would need to be insulated from "ground", but what about where the antenna plugs into it and it into the radio's antenna connection?

John

Posted on: 2017/12/23 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Although not common, there were true portable sets available to the public, starting around 1923. These sets had an integral speaker, antenna, and batteries as required for tube "A", "B" and "C" voltages.

The Westburr Six originally sold for $165 in the early 20's, about half the price of a Ford Model T.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.96 KB)
1584_5a467ca51b4a3.jpg 563X1024 px

jpg  (138.66 KB)
1584_5a467cb312364.jpg 1024X620 px

jpg  (112.15 KB)
1584_5a467cbdd1859.jpg 1024X491 px

jpg  (118.37 KB)
1584_5a467ccbed8ec.jpg 1024X619 px

jpg  (117.65 KB)
1584_5a467cd7403c9.jpg 768X972 px

jpg  (129.33 KB)
1584_5a467ce72839c.jpg 1024X460 px

Posted on: 2017/12/29 12:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved