Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tires & white wall width for 1953 Caribbean
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packman34&53
See User information
Coker tire seems to be the only supplier that offers 800 X 15 tires which was the original tire size for the 53 Caribbean and they offer it only in their brand! Firestone, BF Goodrich, and US Royal offer them in 820 X 15 which for a show car I would think would be better. Does anyone know if AACA or PAC deducts points for different size tires or using the correct tire size but Coker branded tires?? I think the car originally had US Royal tires. Also does any one know the correct white wall width??

Posted on: 2018/1/23 21:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Tires & white wall width for 1953 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
800-15 is available in a General Tire style, I bought my set thru Kelsey Tire. Packard sourced from multiple tire makers including General for 1955/56, don't know about 1953.

As to whitewall width, the best guidance IMO is to look at 1953 factory photographs.

EDIT: Here's pictures of the 8.00-15 General.

PS: I also see 800-15 Generals offered for sale by Lucas Tire.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.70 KB)
177_5a680936b2326.jpg 1178X1591 px

Posted on: 2018/1/23 21:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packman34&53
See User information
Thank you for the info, I called Kelsey and they no longer handle them but as you said Lucas offers them !!

Posted on: 2018/1/26 10:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

66Toaster
See User information
I have a '53 Caribbean also. The car came with 8x20x15 with 3 5/8" ww. (I won't know if the ww extends into the rim until I put new tires on it.) They are BF Goodrich Silvertown bias-belted tires. Don't know how old they are, but I find that they groan when rounding curves at safe speeds. So I ordered Auburns with 3 3/4" ww from DB Tires. They are radials with the "pie-edge" to simulate the Silvertowns. They should arrive by the end of this month.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I recently replaced the bias tires on my '55 Caribbean with DB (Diamond Back I) tires. There was a nice improvement in the ride and handing. I ordered my through measey@atlanticbb.net (Mid-Alantic Packards) and saved a few bucks. They are available with several different WW widths.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 10:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Lucas is highly recommended as they stand behind their tires, have friends that had problems with Coker not standing behind their tires.
Have wide WW Diamdbacks on mine, and happy with them.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 12:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've never had to make a warranty claim thru Lucas for a tire bought from them so I can't say how they stand behind their tires, but I can say they were excellent with advice and execution of my recent order for 7.00 x 17 Bedford Famous Coach tires and I'm comfortable recommending them. They were particularly helpful with regards to metal-stem inner tubes, 1934 being Packard's last year for these. Also a nationally major restoration shop near me deals extensively with Lucas and has nothing but good things to say about them.

ln the 17, 18, 19 and 20" sizes for the heavier classics, Bedford tires seem to have become extremely popular, seen much more frequently now on new tire installations that Lesters, kind of reversing the trend of some years ago. IMO the Bedford is a great choice for the early early to mid-thirties, an of-the-era treat pattern and a more correct white wall width than Lesters (compare the whitewall width to white wall tires on original factory photos for comparison).

Attach file:

jpg  (241.81 KB)
177_5a9c491e68851.jpg 1900X1920 px

Posted on: 2018/3/4 14:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved