Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard has GPS problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I recently installed an aftermarket electric outlet in my car so I could run my GPS which I have come to depend on when going to unfamiliar places. After a few months of working just fine, when I plug it in it powers the unit up but the satellites it used for guidance shut down-the minute I unplug it the satellites go back on but then I run the risk of the unit shutting down for lack of power. I ran the hot wire to the floor, the ground wire to the fuse box since on the 55 the ground is reversed (positive ground instead of negative ground). Has anyone had similar problems?

Posted on: 2018/4/5 13:59
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard has GPS problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
It's working backwards.

Try a dpdt.switch.

Posted on: 2018/4/5 21:05
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Im not sure I understand could you be more descriptive?

Posted on: 2018/4/6 3:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
You could try running both GPS unit wires to the battery to see if that solves the problem by isolating the GPS from the vehicle electrical system. If so, then I would consider leaving it wired direct and adding a toggle switch for the GPS power circuit. If direct connection does not fix the issue, the problem may be in the GPS unit itself.

Posted on: 2018/4/6 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
After having bad luck with the life of some GPS I would try it in another car. Some times removing the card wiping the contacts and putting back will cure problems. Try unit in another car with negative ground which most cars are now fitted with. I have four GPS and they can be frustrating. If all else fails get a 1950s GPS also known as a paper map.

Posted on: 2018/4/6 11:22
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved