Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 43

Ross, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor on a '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm tracing down a miss and don't have much spark to #7. My guess is probably #7 plug wire. I decided that as long as I was working the issue I would look at the points. The car has a North East distributor 5028025 with dual points and a single wire coming from a single coil. They both appear to open at the same time. Is that correct?

Posted on: 2018/4/8 16:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor on a '32 901
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They both appear to open at the same time. Is that correct?

Correct: Quote from the Standard Auto-Electrician's Manual for the Packard 901 with Northeast distributor 5028025: "This unit uses an EIGHT POINT CAM and both sets of breaker arms operate simultaneously. Not necessary to synchronize...."

Posted on: 2018/4/9 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for helping out. I looked through the various sources here on PackardInfo, on-line searches, and in the Motors manuals that I have and didn't find anything. I didn't think about going to my copy of Standard Auto-Electrician's Manual.

So is it correct to assume that they used two sets in order to ensure a good spark to the plug or is it something else?

Posted on: 2018/4/10 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So is it correct to assume that they used two sets in order to ensure a good spark

That would be my assumption, a case of assuring reliability via simple redundancy. IMO the Standard Auto-Electrician's Manual is an outstanding resource - usually the first place I go with questions about electrical systems on the cars it covers, consider yourself very fortunate to own a copy.

Glad I could be of help.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information

Posted on: 2018/4/10 12:45
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Its sold, I just bought it. Thanks for the tip.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 16:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved