Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torque converter install, best practices?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Clipper55super
See User information
I'm trying to reinstall the torque converter. The engine is out of the car and I was going to mount it to the flex plate before installing. The center guide from the converter to the flex place is a very tight fit and makes aligning the bolt holes very difficult. Is this the best way to install it or should it be put on the transmission shaft and then install the engine? I don't want to set the engine in with one process or the other and find out an issue could have been avoided. Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 9:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Torque converter install, best practives?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, it would be better to have the converter on the trans. In addition to needing to go on very straight to avoid damage to seals and bushings, there are several sets of splines that need to be aligned in their respective positions so the converter can slide all the way into position on the trans. This means the converter generally needs to rotate some to get the splines all aligned as it is pushed into position. That step would be almost impossible to do if the converter were already attached to the flexplate.

The converter does make the trans front heavy so when lifting up the unit make sure to keep the converter pushed in and mated as things are tilted and maneuvered into position on the engine. You might even add a piece of wire to keep it in position until wire starts to interfere and needs to come off.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 10:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Clipper55super
See User information
Thank you Howard. I saw videos being done both ways and wasn't sure which was best.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 11:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've done this a couple of times and always had the convertor
mounted on the transmission. You have to turn the convertor several times to align the spines until you are sure it is completely engaged. That would be difficult(impossible) if the convertor were already bolted to the flywheel.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 19:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Clipper55super
See User information
Thank you for the tip Randy. I will make sure to give it a few rotations.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Torque converter install, best practices?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Put a piece of wire around one of the studs..thru bolt hole in bell housing. To hold torque converter from coming out....put it lower hole so you cut it free

You are aligning 3 shafts..reactor. . high range clutch. And converter shaft.

You should feel 2 engagements.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 22:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved