Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 134

CCR, Don Shields, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Circuit braker 1953 Convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
HELP!
I?m 2600 miles from home in my 1953 Convertible and having some issues.
A few days ago it stopped charging. I had over 7V going out from dynamo but not at battery. Did a polarisation and got 7,5 - 8 V at battery.
Today I tried to open my window and it stopped after one inch and was completely dead. Switched everything off and the BAT was lit when ignition was off. Did a polarisation again and BAT went off like normal when starting. The windows and top still completely dead. Went "home"(summer house) and localised the problem to a circuit breaker on the hydraulic pump.
Question 1: Is my Charging relay giving up? Or my dynamo?
Question 2: How many amp is this circuit breaker? Would that be the same in 12V? as things for 6V is impossible to find urgently here.

Starting my 2600 miles drive home on Monday so I need to sort this out quickly.
Thanks
Jan stranded in J?rvs?, Sweden

Posted on: 2018/6/22 11:55
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Circuit braker 1953 Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That breaker should have the amps listed on it if you look closely. You can always replace it with a simple fuse for now. Might be hard to find a breaker of that capacity--I am thinking 35 amperes. "12v" breaker will be fine.

Your voltage regulator is a separate problem and has sticky contacts if it makes the light come on when the car is off. Clean them with a small file or in a pinch with some very fine sandpaper--600 or more.

Don't let the car stand with the light on. The battery will discharge very quickly through the generator and quite possibly damage it. Hit the regulator with your hand and the points will usually open.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 12:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Circuit braker 1953 Convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Thanks Ross. Is that Ross as in Ross Miller?
I?ll try to get a 12V 35amp fuse for now until I get home.
I?ll also clean the contacts on the regulator.
Thanks again.
Jan

Posted on: 2018/6/22 12:24
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved